chapter 111

Sang Pingliang was so excited that he could not sleep that night. He tossed and turned as he thought about the type of concubine he should buy. The girl must be in good shape, have a pretty face, and skin as smooth as the surface of a peeled hard-boiled egg. As for the age, 16 or 17 years old would be best. But if she was really pretty and attractive, she can be 18 or 19.

But most importantly, the price must be cheap.

Thinking about it, Sang Pingliang hesitated again. The middlemen were always tricky; without a good price, they would never sell their good ones away! If he wanted a young and good one, he might have to fork out twenty or thirty silvers!

Twenty or thirty silvers! Not just two or three silvers! Sang Pingliang felt his heart ache just from that thought.

He couldn't help but sigh. Whatever, if it was just to give birth to a son, what difference does a girl worth thirty or ten silvers make? All he had to choose was someone with a big hip that would be good for giving birth.

Then, thinking again, why should he mistreat himself! He was already at this age, if he didn't enjoy his wealth now, he would never get to. This twenty or thirty silvers was worth spending!

Sang Pingliang finally made his decision to spend, no matter how much it would take to select a girl that he would be satisfied with! Of course, that 'no matter how much' was limited to fifty silvers.

On the next morning, Sang Pingliang changed into a brand new maroon floral patterned robe after waking up and having his breakfast. After counting his money and tidying his hair, he left his house happily.

At the door, Li Shi watched him leave. Staring at his back, she gave him a deathly glare and hissed at him. When she went back into the house, she vented all her frustrations on Sang Rou.

Sang Rou remained as per usual, lying low and letting all the frustrations be vented onto her. However, she was secretly gloating over what had happened and was even more excited than her father for the new concubine.

No matter what, there would be someone else to receive the gunfire in the household as well. Even if this was not advantageous for her, it was not disadvantageous as well. However, it was definitely a blow to Li Shi's position!

Sang Pingliang hired a buffalo cart and headed towards town. He was only willing to spend six coppers. Because Sang Pingliang was miserly, the buffalo's owner purposely travelled at a slow pace and allowed his buffalo to graze during the journey. Regardless how Sang Pingliang pushed the buffalo's owner to hasten, he acted like he didn't hear him. By the time Sang Pingliang arrived in town, it was almost noon.

When Sang Pingliang hopped off the cart he was feeling extremely unhappy so he gave the poor owner five coppers which angered him. But knowing Sang Pingliang's character, the buffalo's owner remained silent as it would only be a waste of saliva to bicker and grudgingly let that one copper go.

"Eh Xiao Xu, later, I still need you to get me home in the afternoon too, since you've to go back to the village as well, don't you? I'll give you another 3 coppers!" Sang Pingliang deemed himself generous with his offer.

Instead, the buffalo's owner spoke with contempt, "I can't afford to earn money from you! I still have to rush back to farming!" After he finished, he cracked a whip and left. Deep down, he understood that it was the right decision for the Sang brothers to cut off ties with such a man. Having an elder like this would be worse than not having one. Thinking again, why did he even allow himself to feel greed over a few coppers? It wasn't even enough for him to get angry at!

"Really! Letting go of an opportunity to earn you money; you deserve to be poor!" Sang Pingliang said in disdain. With his hands behind his back, he strolled into the bustling marketplace. He had decided to have his lunch first before going to the middleman. Letting his bride-to-be have one more meal at the middleman's place still counted as a gain for him!