Chapter 27: The Sour Cousin

Shi Fengju had wanted to make things a little more difficult for her by not eating, but his belly, however, was intolerably hungry and his mouth was extremely thirsty. Partially by force and by desire, he accepted. But who would have known that Zhan Huan would barge into the room so soon? In a loud voice, he spoke, "Sir, the fire stoves in the kitchen had already been put out. Auntie Li says that the dishes prepared had already been sent away to their respective chambers. Why don't this servant go to

Ning Garden

to grab some dishes for Sir? Oh, or maybe this servant can ask Auntie Li to prepare a bowl of noodles to help you last through the night? Oh, this servant was afraid that Sir cannot wait any longer and brought with me a plate of cakes and cookies!"

As if honoring Shi Fengju with the presence of a treasure, Zhan Huan presented the plate of cakes and cookies. But only then did he realize that Sang Wan and Zhide were standing in front, and his own master's face was now extremely darkened.

How could Shi Fengju not be angry? At Ning Garden, he had gracefully told Sang Wan that he was not hungry. But at this very moment, he was caught red-handed by Sang Wan! Zhan Huan's words had seemed somewhat piercing.

Zhide wanted to laugh but dare not do so. With a straight face, she acted as if she had not heard Zhan Huan. And as for Zhan Huan, he was unaware of what had happened in Ning Garden. Smiling naturally at Sang Wan, he bowed, "Ma'am, you've come!"

Sang Wan chuckled to herself but did not reveal it on the surface. Looking towards Zhan Huan, she nodded and smiled, "This plate of pastries shall be your reward. You may eat them! I'll take care of Sir from here, so you may take your leave first!"

Zhan Huan subconsciously glanced at his Sir whose face was still darkened and grinned, "Ma'am sure does care a lot for Sir, then this servant shall take his leave now!" With that, he lowered his head and skidded away.

"That dog!" Shi Fengju snorted angrily.

"Sir, please!" Sang Wan knew that she shouldn't wait any longer for any longer and Shi Fengju's embarrassment would definitely be fed to his anger. As such, she led him to a seat and gestured to Zhide to take out the dishes from the food box before serving a bowl of soup to Shi Fengju personally.

When Shi Fengju saw that she did not make fun of him, with her expression the same as if she had not heard Zhan Huan, his heart calmed down. He had wanted to say something but after a second thought would have sounded a little too harsh and wipe them away from his mind. Quietly on the seat, he slowly received the dishes one after another.

A mouth full of delicious soup went down his throat and his appetite was suddenly woken up from its slumber. Filled with energy, Shi Fengju spoke warmly to Sang Wan, "That's enough. Zhide will stay and serve me. You may go back first!"

He had already said that he had things to do. Regardless of whether that was true, he had to sit in the study room for a little while longer to justify his words.

"Alright then. I'll head off first! Sir, do return and rest early. Don't stay up too late!" Sang Wan nodded. Smiling at Zhide, she went on to instruct her, "Brew a pot of good tea for Sir, later on, to help him with his digestion. And if there's any fresh melons or fruits, have someone prepare them and bring them in. Do not forget!"

"Yes, Ma'am!" Zhide bowed as she answered.

Shi Fengju took a quick glimpse at her and his heart felt somewhat more comfortable. To live was to serve; that was definitely not something males can do! For her to be willing to even act out the part, it must have been tough for her!

As the thought wandered in his mind, his heart could not help but feel apologetic towards Sang Wan. Putting a soft tone, he smiled and spoke to her, "No need to go through the trouble. The things I have to do tonight isn't much. I'll return very soon! Oh yes, if you're tired, you may rest first!"