Chapter 4: Generous, Nevertheless

Immediately after hearing what Mi Shi said, Wang Shi looked at Sang Wan, only to see that her head was lowered slightly and she was smiling modestly at Mi Shi. Her calm face showed no signs of dismay; as if nothing indecent had been said at all. Wang Shi could not help but exhale softly before glaring at Mi Shi. With a mind to give Mi Shi a scolding or two afterward, Wang Shi rolled her eyes.

As a person who disliked bickering with others, Wang Shi held back her anger and let it slowly seeped back into her heart. With that, Wang Shi snorted.

Gu Fangzi gave a hoarse laugh and said with a smile, "My new cousin-in-law may be good, however, Aunt Mi shouldn't be so envious of Aunt Wang! You're fortunate too, otherwise, your son wouldn't have married such a good wife either!"

The wife Gu Fangzi was referring to was the wife of Second Uncle Shi and Mi Shi's son, Shi Fengming. Two years ago, Shi Fengming had been obsessed with the most popular girl working in a tavern, Su Qing'er, and insisted on marrying her! Such a disastrous event enraged both Second Uncle Shi and Mi Shi, resulting in an unpleasant family argument between parents and son.

Mi Shi concluded that her son must have been deceived by that female fox demon. To make him forget about the tavern girl, Mi Shi believed that having him marry someone else would do the trick. Thus, without her son's consent, she hastily arranged an engagement for him, resulting in her second son getting married ahead of her first son.

Surprisingly, the second son did not falter. Instead, he begun to aggressively display his love for Su Qing'er. In the end, Mi Shi had to threaten Su Qing'er's life to force Shi Fengming into entering the bridal chamber. However, not long after his marriage, he seized the chance to escape and eloped with the beautiful tavern girl, leaving his newlywed wife, Zhou Jingyi, and never returned.

That incident had scarred Mi Shi's heart deeply and Gu Fangzi invoked it with ill intentions.

Sure enough, Mi Shi's face immediately turned pale white. Vexed, her body puffed with anger. With wide eyes, Mi Shi glared at Gu Fangzi, "What did you just say? I dare you to say it again!"

At that moment, Wang Shi, who was feeling joyous, felt a little sorry for Mi Shi. For Gu Fangzi to craft such sarcastic sentences to mock Mi Shi, Wang Shi inevitably felt annoyed. Nevertheless, she was more inclined to protecting Gu Fangzi, and said coldly, "What do you mean? Gu Fangzi spoke the truth! Jingyi is a good child and is also a good daughter-in-law! You acting the way you are now is a disgrace to the family!"

"Elder sister... how could you! Dear, look —" Mi Shi became vexed and her eyes started to get teary. She struggled to get words out of her mouth at the thought of her son who was still wandering out there.

Shi Fengju frowned. Never did he think that something so trivial would lead to this! Before he could open his mouth to speak, Gu Fangzi interrupted with a smile on her face, "My bad. Because of my clumsy mouth, the praise sounded so hostile and made Aunt Mi oversensitive. I should receive my punishment. I should really receive my punishment! Aunt Mi, I'm really sorry. Do spare me! Not for my sake, but for the joyous ceremony of welcoming my newlywed cousin-in-law into the Shi family! My cousin-in-law, don't you think so?" As she spoke, Gu Fangzi stole a few glances at Mi Shi.

Sang Wan remained silent. Gu Fangzi even wanted to drag her into the commotion! The question thrown out by Gu Fangzi, how was she supposed to answer? By agreeing, it would seem as if her position as the wife of the Shi family son was greater than the Shi elders, and that her mother-in-law was wrong about her opinion on Jingyi. If she disagreed, she would be bluntly stating that Mi Shi was in the wrong, and again would be going against the elders.

Neither option would be any good for her! Sang Wan smiled bitterly. In the past, she had definitely been oblivious, and had acted as if Gu Fangzi was a good person! A good person would never have said those words!