Chapter 43: Makeup, Whether Light or Heavy, Makes Her Even More Beautiful

In the small garden after breakfast, Sang Wan began dressing herself up.

Today was the day her older brother and sister-in-law would be coming over for the first time to greet their relatives. For a special day like this, she would have to put in double the effort to her looks.

Especially since her mother-in-law Wang Shi looked heavily upon physical looks and after that incident with Mistress Zhuang.

As such, Sang Wan went out of her way to dress herself up as luxurious and beautiful as she could.

Begonia red branch patterns embroidered on the collar of the beizi; gold silk threads criss-crossed at the sides of the sleeves; a skirt with folds on the end, colored in scarlet red like the color of a lotus flower which symbolizes good fortune; and a pair of satin-made boat shoes with bright red soft sole. Her black hair was bundled together on the top of her head and secured with a gold hairpin which had gold threads on its end that had small rubies hanging from it before being decorated with other accessories.

Her figure was slim and perfect, with a delicate waist and slender neck; her skin, white and exquisite; her cheeks, patted with rouge; her lips, moist and tender; the hair around the temples folded above her brows, and her eyes like the stars. In addition to her hand gestures, which looked graceful and elegant, and gentle temperature would definitely attract the admiration from others.

"Ma'am, you look beautiful!" Zhide and the rest had never seen Sang Wan all dressed up and could not help but look at her with glistening eyes filled with amazement.

"That's not the case! The blissful life that Ma'am leads and the good temperament that Ma'am has are outstanding all regardless whether Ma'am her dresses up or not!" Nanny Li grinned and praised.

Sang Wan bashfully smiled. Even she herself was taken by astonishment when she took a look at her own reflection in front of a mirror. She could almost not believe that the elegant and luxurious reflection in the mirror was actually her!

After touching up a little on her make-up, she then brought Nanny Li and a few others with her as she went to greet with Wang Shi. On the route there, the servants who saw her quickly stopped in their tasks to greet her with eyes thick with amazement.

After seeing Sang Wan, Wang Shi's jaw dropped and was stunned for a moment. Blinking a few times, she clapped her hands excitedly and smiled, "Well done, well done! This is then our Shi family's daughter-in-law! Come quickly, take a seat!" before turning to the rest of the members present and asked, "What do the rest of you say, which family's daughter-in-law in Qingzhou is the most outstanding? Even those high official's wives will never be able to outdo this!"

The people naturally joined in to give their praise to Sang Wan as they smiled. Their behavior was not forced against their will and thus, the praise sounded soothing to the ear.

Wang Shi was secretly satisfied and subconsciously, the thought of Mistress Zhuang drifted by her mind. Next time, she was sure to bring her daughter-in-law along with her to meet that Mistress Zhuang and see if there was anything she could say! Let's just see whether she could joke about the son of the Shi family marrying to the daughter of a family in shambles! Hmph, if they have the ability, then they should give it a try too and see if anyone would want to marry into their family!

Sang Wan became a little embarrassed by Wang Shi's her eyes that could not conceal her emotions and her huge praise. Gradually and gracefully, she sat down at a side and smiled, "Your daughter-in-law does not know much about dressing up and has specifically come to seek for Mother's opinion. If Mother is unsatisfied, please teach your daughter-in-law how to do so!"

"Very good, very good! When you meet with guests in the future, remember to dress up like this!" The more Wang Shi looked at her, the more she liked, "If I were to teach you, it'd be just like that!"