Part 19: The Ball

"It's the ball!" Alex yells coming into my room. He jumps around excitedly and I laugh.

"Lex, your too much sometimes" I say, walking over to him and kissing him on the cheek. He does the same and we go to sit on my bed.

"So, let's see the dress" he says, pulling me up to my feet again.

"Geez, fine fine" I say, throwing up my arms in defeat. I walk over to the wardrobe, pulling out a purple dress. It's beautiful, so so beautiful.

According to Gladys, it's custom made just for me which makes it's super special as well.

(The dress)⬆️

(The dress)⬆️

"OH. MY. GOODNESS. It's perfect!" He cheers "your gonna look so amazing Julie, now you must starting getting ready. Know how to get to Carries room?" He ask

"The ball starts at like 6, it's only 3:30. We're getting ready this early"

"Oh girl, you don't even know" he says with a laugh "come on" he grabs my hand while I still have the dress and takes me directly to carries room.

Inside
I walk in to her room and to my surprise, she is getting ready.

"Oh Julie, perfect timing!" She says getting up from her vanity. She has a light pink flowery ball gown on, it's so her.

"Is that your desss?" She ask, pointing to the dress in my arms. I nod and she smiles her big bright smile. Her actual smile.

"Oh Julie, you're gonna look so freaking beautiful. Cmon, let's get you dressed" she says, grabbing my hand.

Suddenly I'm filled with a feeling of happiness, the kind only sisters can give.

1 hour later
"I had no idea it was this much work to prepare for a ball" I say as Carrie pins part of my curls back.

"It certainly is a lot" she says, fixing some more of my hair "we're done"

"I look- wow. Thank you so much Care" I say, looking up at her.

"Of course, anytime little sis. Now we must go greet our guest!" She says, grabbing my hand and walking out of the room. We walk down the stairs and as we reach the bottom, I see all the guys here. But I notice one in particular, the one I've been avoiding since that almost kiss day.

"Y'all look so lovely" Dylan says and the guys agree. Luke walks over to me, looking so proper.

"You look amazing" he whispers. I smile and I feel blush rise to my cheeks as well.

"Let's go see the setup" Carrie says grabbing Dylan's hand and shoving the other boys outside.

"You clean up pretty well too" I say as soon as we're alone. He grabs my hand and we're looking into each others eyes until Gladys marches in.

"So who's ready to dance?" She ask.

Another hour later
"May I have this dance?" Reggie ask as I sit watching the dance floor.

"Why not" I say with a smile. He grabs my hand and we dance. Before I know it, he spins and I'm dancing with Luke.

Well, that was a smooth move, I won't lie.

"Hi" he says, smiling at me.

"Hi"

Then the sky opens up and it starts to pour down. Everyone runs for cover except for me.

"Julie, what are you doing?" Luke yells from under the covering.

"Dancing" I answer spinning around in the rain.

It's like something I've never felt before, I felt every lifted off my shoulders. It was just me, I was just me.

Luke comes over to me, holding his arm over his head.

"Come on, you'll catch a cold Juliet" I smile at the use of my nickname.

But I'm not done.

"Luke, you only live once. I wanna enjoy it"

"Julie" he says, grabbing my hand.

"Im staying. You can leave or you can join me,
I'd love it if you'd stay" he considers, looking back at the crowd and then at me.

"May I have this dance?" He ask, making smile incredibly too much. We waltz around the empty floor until I notice that Carrie and Dylan have joined. The music starts to slow and I wrap my arms around his neck, laying my head against his chest. He wraps his arms around my waist and we just dance, slowly moving to the music. The more we dance, the more the whole world seems to fade.

Then, the moment is ruined.

"Gladys is eating this up" he whispers and my heart drops.

Of course, this is all for show. There are people after all.

God, I'm so stupid.

I pull away and back up.

"Julie, what's wrong?" Luke ask, trying to take my hand.

"I-I umm have to get out of here" I say, running from the dance floor which is soaking past the crowd of people into the castle. Luke follows after me. I pick up my dress and throw off my shoes as I run down the stairs. I hear Luke's shoes behind me, hitting the ground fast as he runs. Finally he catches me.

"Julie, what was that?" He ask.

"Do you even care about me Luke? Because believe it or not, I care about you" I say, letting my dress hit the floor. He stands on the stair below me and I watch as he settles onto it, shifting his weight.

"Of course I do-" he starts.

"Do you have feelings for me?" I interrupt him. His face is shocked and he doesn't answer.

"Of course not, so whatever this is or was is over. We'll only be seen at events together. I don't know how much experience you've had or how well you can fake these things but I can't Luke. I can't be around someone I know doesn't have the same affection for me, it's just too hard" I say picking up my dress and walking back to room.

That night, I never leave my room and I never let anyone in. Carrie comes to talk to me and instead of coming in, she just starts talking.

"Julie, I don't know what happened and I'm not gonna ask a hundred questions about it. I know how you care about him and as your big sister I wanna protect you but I can't forever. But this-this is my fault, I let this happen" that's when I open the door. She's changed into pink pjs that are just fancy.

"Oh wow, you let me in" she says. Before we can say anything, I collapse into her arms sobbing uncontrollably.

Ugh, boys.