Chapter 8 Mess

"Please come to a stop," I took a deep breath and flung my hands up in the air, watching at the fifth cab speeding away down this road.

It's already 9:45 a.m., and I have to be in his presence by 10:00 a.m., or he'll ruin my life.

Emberly, you're not going to have a taxi here, so I'd best get going before I'm even more late.

So, I've chosen to run now; hiring a taxi from here would be pointless because I've already travelled half of the distance to his workplace by running behind cabs.

I instantly took out my phone to verify my current location; yeah, I'm only 15 minutes away from where I'm currently standing.

*******

I clutched my handbag closely as I gazed at a gorgeous and elegant tower, wondering if this was another Burj-Khalifa.

God, you are stunning and deserving of all praise.

I enter the house to find guests.

The company's interior was breathtakingly lovely.

Everything appears to be really lovely. the epitome of opulence

I took a step towards the receptionist.

She smiled pleasantly as she glanced at me.
"Hello," she continued, "how may I have been of assistance to you?"

Before I can finish, I have to say, "Um, I am....,"

"So you come, good," a girl's voice said from behind me.

I furrowed my brows and turned around to see a lovely woman in her mid-twenties with brown hair and dressed professionally in a work suit.

I tilt my head backwards, looking at her as she approaches.

"Come, let me take you to Mr.Campbell's office,"

"Come on," she murmured pleasantly, "let me take you to Mr. Campbell's office."

I gave her a friendly nod. As a way, he assigns her to find me.

We got into the elevator, and as I was putting my foot on the elevator's flooring and biting my lip, I felt a sudden heaviness in my chest; I had no idea what he has planned for me, but I am certain he will make my life a living hell here.

That girl shifted her gaze slightly towards me.
"By the way, my name is Nancy, and I'm Mr. Campbell's personal secretary," she continued, beaming at me, and I smiled back.

"Hello Nancy, my name is Emberly Campb.... " I suddenly pause, realising what I'm about to say; I can't tell her I'm Adrian's wife; I'm sure Adrian won't like it, and I don't want to be related to him anyway.

"Emberly Swan," I said, clearing my throat.

I had an empty sick feeling of my stomach as she nodded and the elevator stopped.

I stepped out of the elevator shakily, feeling my mouth dry, so I gulped and Nancy opened the glass door to his office, where I paused with a tiny gasp.

It's well beyond my words, so lovely, yet I noticed the enormous comfortable chair next his table is empty.

I felt all of the heaviness leave my body, and I expelled the breath I'd been holding for who knows how long.

I followed him into his office, my breath caught in my throat; everything in his office is so neatly arranged and well organised that it made me feel out of place; I was wearing one of the best clothes I owned; they are not mine; they are Deliah's used ones, but I can't afford to waste my money on new clothes, so I don't mind wearing her used ones; I was dressed simply in a light pink business formal suit with white sneakers, and I smiled as I looked down at my sneakers, which my brother Asher had given me on my birthday. This is the only item I own that was purchased new; the rest of my possessions are second-hand. I examined the certificates that hung on his office wall.