Chapter 9 Change in him

Biting down on my bottom lip, I moaned as I felt my wrist burn with unbearable anguish. I stuffed the final file into a drawer that I'm putting in alphabetical order as per his request for me.

I looked at the clock, it was 10 p.m., I peeked inside his office, which was vacant, and I dashed to the balcony, where I saw him driving his car away from his company's building.

Everyone is leaving; I should leave as well because this is my final assignment of the day.

I dragged my feet towards my desk, swiftly turning off the laptop and retrieving my handbag.

I came down, wrapped my arms around myself, and walked down the road at night, it took me two hours to walk to the mansion because I didn't have enough money to book a cab, and I was very hungry because I brought lunch back from the Starbucks cafe during my lunch break at the office, as I didn't have enough money to afford a cab.

Guards greeted me as I entered the mansion.

I walked straight to the kitchen to get something to eat, checked my phone, and it was 11 p.m. It took me two hours to go home.

I opened the fridge, my stomach growling and my limbs becoming heavy because I hadn't eaten anything since the morning.

I took out the grilled veggies with hummus wraps and placed them on a plate for myself, smiling internally because I had never seen such delicious food in my life; my aunt never gives me decent food to eat; I always have to eat leftovers, and I have to go to bed on an empty stomach most of the time.

I took the tray and prepared to walk towards the dining room, but I abruptly stopped when I realised that I am nothing more than his maid; for all the world, I am his wife, but in reality, I am nothing to him; I believe he will never like me to eat in his luxurious dining room, so I quickly sat on the kitchen floor in Indian style, and just ate a bite, I gasped in pain, and breathing heavily; I looked at my wrist, which was becoming worse now; It's just a piece of glass, and I've already removed it, but I still get the illusion that something is embedded deep under my flesh.

With much effort, I got out a fork and ate with it.

I went inside his room, but it was vacant; he was probably in his study room.

I changed into my pajamas and lay down on the floor; I winced again as my hand touched the floor, but I managed to tolerate it and closed my eyes immediately.

********

I awoke, wiped my eyes, and glanced about; it was already dawn.

I had straightened my body posture and was about to stand, but something caused me to halt.

It's my hand that can accomplish this, which is covered in a medicine bandage, and I've inclined my head backward.

I let out a gasp as I realised it could only be him because he is the only one who has entry to his bedroom.

I looked around but couldn't find him; I looked at the digital clock; it was already midday, and I had a conference with him at 9 p.m.

I frowned as I looked about, unsure of what was going on.

What am I going to do next?

I hurriedly stand but am surprised by a tap at the door, which I answer to find Celine, who is smiling warmly.

"Hey, I came here to inform you that when you're ready, please call me and I'll bring your breakfast here," she remarked.

I questioned her, twitching my fingers and gulping down, "Is Adrain already gone to the office?"