Chapter 13

"No frickin' way this is the right one."

I look at the enormous mansion in front of us, then back to Jen who's checking the address on her phone for what must be about the hundredth time since the taxi dropped us here.

"Here."

She hands me her phone that's showing a picture of a house that looks exactly like this one. Because it is this one.

"No way."

But before I can descend into disbelief again, a loud voice with a slight French accent sounds from somewhere not far away.

"JEEEEEEN! Y/N! YOU'RE HEEERE!!".

We look up. It's Charlotte, waving at us from one of the spacious balconies of the luxury beach house that - there's no reason to doubt it anymore - will be our home for the following two weeks.

Jen glances at me with visible excitement.

"Could be worse, huh?", she smirks.

I give her a sarcastic shrug followed by a smile.

I guess it really is not that bad that I agreed to this vacation.

-

Did I ever mention that I hate the beach?

Because I do.

No, I'm not a vampire or anything (although that would be a lot cooler, admittedly). I just don't get it. I mean why would you spend a perfectly good afternoon getting your soles burned by scorching hot sand and marinating your hair in salt? Just so you can show off your new swimwear before it gets out of style like that weird strappy one-piece you bought last year? Or to spend hours trying to find a comfortable way to lie on the sun bed until you realise that it's impossible because no matter how hard you try, you'll always leave with a stiff neck? Say what you want, it doesn't make sense to me.

But still that's most people's idea of a perfect summer.

Including my best friend who just got her heart broken by her first ever love and needs my 'emotional support'. Yes, even at the beach. Which is why I'm here pondering my misery.

Right now Jen doesn't look like she needs any help getting through her heartbreak though. She's playing volleyball in the crystal-blue water with Gucci Boy and Charlie, laughing and splashing around and having the time of her life.

Not knowing what else to do, I reach into my bag to get the book I brought with me, when I feel the slight vibration of my phone.

-

1 message from Namjoon

-

Namjoon | 4:02 pm

Hey Y/N, just wanted to check in on you. How's the beach house? I hope you brought enough books to keep yourself busy, I know these kinds of holidays can be boring. Anyway, I'm always here for you if you need someone to talk. Love, Namjoon

-

Oh Namjoon.

We've barely known each other for half a year now, but at instances like this it feels like we've been friends for a lifetime.

-

Me | 4:03 pm

Hi Namjoon, it's going okay so far. The house (or should i say: mansion) feels big enough for me to probably get lost while looking for a midnight snack but I certainly won't let that stop me 😬 And as for the books, I'm  currently about 100 pages into Demian, thanks again for the recommendation, it's great! Looking forward to discussing it with you when I'm back :)