Chapter 22

Normally I wouldn't have said yes to third-wheeling at my best friend's movie date, but as we all know by now, Jen can be pretty convincing when she really wants something. And this time, I'm honestly just happy that she's happy. 

She and Hobi started hanging out again right after they both returned from their holidays. Now it's September, the new semester has just begun and their romance is back on track, stronger than ever. And because it's also our last year together as undergraduates, Jen has to somehow juggle friendship, dating and uni.

Which is why I'm here, in front of the mall's cinema with Jen, waiting for her beloved date to arrive.

"Don't you think I'm overdressed?", she asks me, tugging and picking at her flower-patterned bodycon dress. "I should have just gone with the jeans and the crop top, right?".

"You look great, Jen", I remind her. "Don't worry. It's not like Hobi would have eyes for anyone else when you two are together. I bet you could wear a potato sack for all that he cares."

"Oh come on, Y/N!". She playfully pokes me in the side which makes me jump. "Wait until you're dating someone! You'll never make fun of me for this again!".

"As if", I shrug, dodging her attempts to tickle me and moving on to my counterattack. 

"By the way, how's it going with - HEY!".

Before she gets to finish her question I've managed to poke her back, making her stumble backwards right into the arms of a certain sunshine-smiley someone.

"HOBI!", she shouts in excitement once she realises who caught her. "You're here!". 

And he's not the only one.

Right behind him, there's someone else we know all too well.

"Yoongi?", Jen asks before I've gathered myself enough to do the same. "What are you doing here?".

Yoongi shrugs and rubs his neck, avoiding her direct gaze. 

"Hobi asked me to come."

"What a coincidence!", Jen screams, clapping her hands together in excitement. "I guess that means you won't have to third-wheel us after all", she she fake-whispers into my ear, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Alright then, shall we go in?", Hobi suggests with one of his signature sunshine smiles, gesturing for Jen to lead the way.

Yoongi and I follow silently, not having said a word to each other the entire time.

This is gonna be an interesting evening.

-

During the film I'm trying my best to ignore the fact that I'm sandwiched between a couple that's constantly whispering and holding hands and a guy that has filled our entire encounter with nothing but awkward silence. It's hard though. The action film Jen picked out is just too boring and foreseeable. 

I look over to Yoongi who seems to be thinking the same. In the short time I've known him, I've learned to decipher his expressionless faces better than anyone. And this is definitely the I-don't-want-to-be-here one.

"Hey", I whisper into his ear during another especially tiring car chase scene, "I thought you spent your precious free-time in more meaningful ways than watching bad action movies." 

He looks surprised for a second, but then the surprise turns into a sarcastic little smirk.

"It's called being a good friend", he cheekily replies, alluding to very thing I said to him the day I was visiting fake-sick Jen.