3: bad motto to live by

Functioning alcoholic is the best term I would use to describe my mother.

After the short car trip back home she was the first person I'd seen, I saw her body in the kitchen with a glass of wine in her hand. 

There weren't many scenarios these days that didn't involve my mother and alcohol.

She turned her head hearing my footsteps enter the room. "Willow," she said moving her eyes up from her glass and onto me.

"Hi Mom" I sighed but nevertheless with a fake smile on my face.

"Did you go to the store?" she questioned narrowing her eyes and looking at my empty arms, "I asked you yesterday" she said irritated.

Nothing like your own mother forgetting you were across the county for an entire year to make you feel important.

"Mom...I came home from boarding school today" I explained moving closer to the kitchen counter.

A confused look flashed on her face for a brief second, "Oh" her mouth formed an 'O'. I could smell the alcohol on her from across the table causing me to scrunch up my face in disgust.

"Good to see you too" I muttered underneath my breath. Unfortunately for me, she saw my lips move - a rookie mistake on my end.

"You have something to say?" She raised one eyebrow staring daggers at me.

"Nothing at all" I muttered before turning my back and ignoring her clearly drunken state. What a beautiful homecoming.

"Where's dad?" I asked stopping in my track and turning my head around to get her attention.

"The mainland for business" she replied before tipping her glass up and downing the rest of her wine. That was code for having an affair with a girl half his age and closer to my own.

I quickly ran out of the room and up the stairs, I didn't stop until my feet touched my bedroom floor. I threw my body onto the bed and stared up to the ceiling out of sheer exhaustion.

This day summed up my relationship with my parents perfectly. When my mother was here she was never really present, but I don't think she ever cared for me or took a liken towards me. 

My mother was a complicated character, I blamed my father for her alcohol abuse. 

She drank to forget her problems which is similar to me, I drank to feel numb and push my problems to the side, to the point where nothing really mattered to me anymore.

Despite the whole alcohol issue my mother tried her hardest to maintain my family's reputation but her substance abuse was known to many. It's not like she ever tried to stop drinking even at social events she always had some form of alcohol at her hands.

I couldn't help but laugh, my father really had left the island instead of seeing me. 

Was I that much of a fucking bother?

I was excited to get absolutely wasted tonight. I figured the sooner I got ready the sooner I got to taste my sweet alcohol. 

Which was why I was currently walking to the Cameron's mansion in hopes Sarah's brother wasn't home.

Luckily I only lived a few streets away from Tannyhill therefore the walk was brisk and somewhat comforting. 

The Cameron family were another powerful family in Figure Eight. Our parents were good friends, therefore, I spent a lot of my childhood with them. I loved Sarah and Wheezie like they were my own sisters.