Chapter 14: A Scarce Amount Of Luck

In life, you can always run away. Run away from your responsibilities, run away from your family, run away from your friends. It almost never ends well, but you have the option to do so. However, there is one thing that can never be outran no matter how quickly you run, no matter how hard you try to hide from it. The truth. In the end, it always catches up with you. The more you try to fight it, the more it hurts once reality hits you. Us humans hide in lies constantly, to shield ourselves from the torture of realization. What some people don't know is that it just makes everything so much worse.

Bucky had tried his best to hide from the horrible truths of his life, but it had finally caught up with him now. Trying his best not to punch a hole straight through the closet, he heaved a heavy sigh.

"Buck... are you okay? Why are you hiding in the closet? You trying to escape to Narnia or something?" Sam stated with a hint of worry in his voice.

"Just leave me alone, Sam."

"Haven't you been brooding for long enough? It's been forty five minutes."

"It has? I didn't really notice."

"You're thinking about Rebecca, aren't you."

"Well, how would you feel if you though you lost Sarah forever, but then she reappeared a century later not giving a shit about who you are? Not remembering a goddamn thing?"

"Buck, I can't even imagine the shit you're going through right now, but if you want me to help you then you're gonna have to come out of that closet."

"I don't need help."

"I've known you long enough to know that's not true."

Bucky sighed once more in defeat, knowing that Sam was right. It seemed like Sam cared about him much more than Steve did at the moment. "Steve probably has better things to worry about right now, he just found out that his niece was a crazy criminal working for this Power Broker guy. Why aren't I there comforting him? No wonder why he treats me like a stranger, I'm not even there for him anymore! What type of friend do I think I am?" Bucky thought to himself.

"Buck, please come out." Sam said, with more worry in his voice.

"Okay, okay. I'm coming."

Bucky then opened the door to the closet slowly and walked out, barely making a sound.

"I'm not gonna pounce on you or anything. No need to be so stealthy."

"I'm not even trying to be stealthy right now."

"Sure thing, White Panther."

"It's White Wolf. We had this conversation already. Do you know where Steve is?"

"Yeah, he's in the kitchen."

"And where's that?"

"I'll show you. Just because I feel generous today."

Sam then entered the same elevator that they travelled in before.

"Floor 7." Sam told the elevator.

"On it, sir." The voice that was programmed into the elevator replied.

The elevator soon arrived at the destination. This floor had a variety of different rooms on it.

"Which room?" Bucky asked.

"It's the one that's labeled kitchen at the top." Sam said, pointing at one of the rooms.

"Got it." Bucky replied.

"Not even a thank you?"

"Thank you." Bucky grumbled.