Chapter Sixteen

I don't know what happened,one minute I was up and running and the other I was on the ground with ten people surrounding me...Talk about top ten of my most embarrassing moments,this would be number two.

What's number one you're thinking? It's how I fainted and got up trying to leave so I don't bother anyone then passed out on the crosswalk....at the red light....in the middle of a very busy street and yes it happened today.

I don't think I'll recover from the humiliation anytime soon.

I was woken up by Maddy screaming at the doctor while crying her eyes out,she said I scared the life out of her and then hit me across the face with her purse, truly a real friend.

While all that was happening I couldn't help but think how I never made it to the restaurant for the meeting with Kingston's family, I'm definitely getting fired today or tomorrow.

"Well old man, speak! Why did she pass out?"Maddy yells at the doctor, cornering him by the door,he sticks his head out and looks at me in panic, asking for help with his eyes.

"Maddy please give him some space,poor guy is choking in your perfume".

She groans and backs away a little, crossing her arms and popping her hip out."Well? TALK".

He smiles nervously and looks at the papers in his hands.

"Fibromyalgia? And you haven't been taking your medication on time correct?"I nod fearfully, glancing at Maddy to see her reaction.

She turns around and bugs her eyes out at me."SERIOUSLY? WHY THE HECK NOT?"I squint my eyes and press my index finger on my ear.

"Please don't yell at me,I hate it and I have a headache"Her face softens and she nods,her eyes showing worry.

"Okay but why haven't you been taking them?".

"I guess I didn't have time, between the bar and the office I genuinely had no time".

"Adelaine your health is more important than any job in the world,not taking medication for two weeks and being under constant stress is extremely nerve-wracking and hard for your body to deal with".

I nod, feeling like a kid getting scolded by their parents.

"I know, I'm sorry, I'm probably getting fired anyways so I'll start taking them regularly now"She bites the inside of her cheek and looks at the doctor"What else?".

"Bad nutrition, dehydration,poor sleeping habits,low blood pressure and so on,you said your body hurts? That's a flare up you're getting,we gave you some painkillers,now we're waiting for the blood tests".

"Will she be okay now? When can she go home?".

"She will be okay of course but I'd like to leave her here until tomorrow so she can get enough rest,I also wanted to have a private chat with her if you don't mind"He gives me a weird smile and my body shivers.

It's hard to read his facial expression,I can't tell if he's just going to tell me something about medication or is it something more serious.

"Oh sure?"Maddy says skeptically and looks at me to be sure,I give her a quick nod and she walks out slowly, giving the doctor a threateningly glare.

"Is everything okay?".

He sighs and pulls the chair behind him to sit.

"How are you really Adelaine?"I blink in confusion.

"How am I? I'm okay I guess".

He adjusts his glasses and rests his elbows on his knees,he can see right through me, he's been my doctor ever since I moved here so there's no point in lying to him but it's better to say I'm okay than to explain to him that I don't know how I really am.