Chapter Thirty

"She's dying?...She's dying"Adelaine repeats with a blank facial expression.

"I'm so sorry but there's not much I can do,her liver is damaged to the core, her brain isn't any better, that woman has alcohol pumping through her veins".

I take Evander out of her arms and look at the doctor in disbelief."You're telling me you're that unprofessional? Help the woman,what the hell am I paying you for?"She sighs and lowers her glasses.

"I can't help her, it's impossible to turn Cirrhosis around, it appears she had it for awhile, either she had no idea or she kept it a secret and continued living an unhealthy life"She says sorrowfully but her eyes show absolutely no sympathy.

"Who hired you to be a doctor? Was the hospital short on staff or something? I want a different doctor to check her"I demand and she shakes her head.

"It's okay to feel sad about this but no need to insult me, I would help if I could but in her case I can't even do a liver transplant,she has a weak heart and she would die on the operation table".

I look at Adelaine, she's still staring at the doctor in silence, her face hard and gaze distant,I wrap my arm around her waist and lean her against my side, afraid she might faint and hurt both herself and the baby.

"When will I-When can I see her?"She asks and swallows hard,tears slowly building up in the corner of her eyes.

"You should come back tomorrow, she's still not awake and I would like to have a private talk with her when she finally wakes up,I promise she'll be alive".

"Will she be alive in two weeks?"She asks with slight hope in her eyes that quickly disappeared after the doctor shook her head.

"Low chances,she has reached the last stage of Cirrhosis, there's no turning back anymore,if she was here a month ago or so I would be able to turn it around but now...I'm terribly sorry".

Adelaine sucks in a sharp breath before dropping down on the chair beside her.

"I'll call you tomorrow to remind you about the visit,and once again I'm very sorry, I'll talk to a few other doctors to hear their opinions about this but trust me,as far as I know there's no turning back"She says and walks away,sparing Adelaine a sad glance before taking a turn to the left.

"Duchess-".

"Let's just go home,I don't want to talk about it"She blurs out quickly and I sigh, looking at her for a few seconds before nodding my head and helping her up.

I want her to talk to me about this but I won't push her,she doesn't like talking about her feelings and I'll have to respect it even though it's already killing me to see her so quiet and down,I just hope she'll somehow come to peace with this news and realize that being sad about it won't bring her no good.

                           •••••••••••••

The ride to the apartment was achingly silent,she would usually turn the radio on and hum a song while playing games on her phone but nothing this time,I didn't realize how much her doing that affected my mood and improve my driving,I was barely paying attention to the road this time.

She didn't cry yet which I'm surprised about, she's just silent and distant,like she's trying to figure something out before tomorrow comes.

Once we got home I called her friend Maddy and told her what happened,I asked if she can come down and be with her while I take care of Evander and make food,I don't think she would want me comforting her after all Maddy is her best friend and she knows about her mother more than I do,she agreed and bolted inside my apartment in less than a minute, hurrying in Adelaine's bedroom.