Chapter 19: Knock knock knock

In school, there were always a few shocking rumors.

There was no evidence to actually support the story of the student who jumped, it was just passed down from previous students. Rumor had it there had been no report because the school had suppressed this event in order to preserve its reputation.

The reason behind the suicide was also subject to a lot of discussion. Academic pressure, bad romantic luck, family bankruptcy, school bullying...

......

The more Wan Da and the others talked about it, the more excited they got. They talked about the dormitory building as if it were a haunted house. To create atmosphere, he also turned off the lights with a snap.

At eight at night, it was pitch black outside and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Only the lights and the stars in the sky were visible. A tall building near the school was currently hosting an anniversary celebration, and it was lit up with red lights. Now that the lights in the classroom were off, the sea of red that shone over from the other side looked especially strange.

A girl screamed out loud, "Wan Da, what are you doing?!"

"Are you sick?!"

"Turn on the lights, quick, turn on the lights!"

Wan Da remained unmoved and persistent. "Atmosphere is important when telling stories. Atmosphere."

The instant the lights went out, He Zhao grabbed Xie Yu's wrist and cursed softly. "Fuck."

The phone game had ended and Xie Yu's phone screen was dark. He turned but didn't shake off He Zhao's hand. Instead, he asked with some interest, "You're scared of ghosts?"

Wan Da wasn't aware of what was happening in the corner of the last row. He prepared to start the story of a scary hair salon and called the two big brothers over to listen: "Zhao-ge, Yu-ge, join us? It's absolutely terrifying and very exciting. If you dare to sleep alone after hearing this, I'll give you fifty cents."

He Zhao hadn't even had the opportunity to refuse when he heard a reply from his especially antisocial, loner-to-a-fault deskmate who never liked to join the crowds. "Sure."

"......"

There were just twelve people in the classroom.

Eight guys and four girls.

Wan Da sat in the middle and the remaining people forming a circle around him. The girls formed a tight group, and those who didn't have a place found chairs to pull over, looking for a spot.

Xie Yu sat at the very outer edge, near the corner. He Zhao was next to him.

Xie Yu glanced down. He Zhao's hand was still holding his. "So you don't intend to let go?"

The supernatural story of the horrifying hair salon started. Wan Da deliberately spoke in a tragic tone: "Xiao Jie was a very pretty girl, with a head of long, shining jet-black hair. Everyone who saw her had a deep impression of her beautiful hair..."

Xie Yu frowned. He Zhao's fingers, wrapped painfully around his wrist, also left a deep impression.

Wan Da's storytelling ability was pretty ordinary, but he was very earnest and never dropped the act. Besides, the atmosphere was very good. So, in the middle of the story, the four girls screamed in unison.

The girls' screams were much more terrifying than the contents of the story.

To an attentive listener, suddenly hearing that sound would cause their heart to jump.