Chapter 3 {EDITED}

"Kian, meet your younger sister, Willow! She's still a baby, so treat her extra well, okay?" My mother, Vanessa, cheerfully said, pointing at me while doing so.

The other person in the conversation was Kian Von Everett, also known as the third capture target. I glanced at my now older brother, who looked identical to our father.

Why did I think anything was going to happen? The third capture target, my older brother, is still a year old. He shouldn't be able to communicate yet--

"Okay! Awl call her my lil' sister!" He replied in a bright voice, an ear-to-ear smile on his face.

I take that back.

"Willow, yow vewy pwetty!" Kian exclaimed as he hugged me tightly. I didn't notice my mother had put me down on his cradle.

"Aren't you two the cutest and most adorable children ever? You both are so lovely." She complimented, her chin resting on both of her hands. She just stared at us lovingly, watching me getting strangled. Just then, loud knocks came from the door.

"My grand duchess, may I enter the room?" A voice spoke from the other side of the door. I wonder who that is?

While I was dazed in thought, my mother replied in a calm voice, "Of course, come in."

Then, the door opened to reveal a young girl in a maid outfit. She had violet hair tied up neatly in a bun with orange yellowish eyes. Her stature was short, yet she had a dignified aura to her. She seemed young, but from her attire, I assumed she was a servant.

"My grand duchess, the grand duke has returned from his royal duties. He would like to see you in his office, alone." She said, glancing at us infant and toddler. Why is she looking at us like that?

"But what about my children? We can't leave them alone now, can we?" My mother questioned, raising her eyebrows as she crossed her arms.

"....D-do not worry, my grand duchess. I will be taking care of them in your absence." She meekly replied, her voice slightly wavering at my mother's sudden change of tone.

"Hmm, I suppose that's alright. I trust that my precious kids will be safe with you. Also, bring Willow to her room in after a while, she needs to sleep soon." My mother said as she stood up and approached us. She leaned her head close to us, and I unconsciously flinched.

"Although I might not show it, I truly love you both from the bottom of my heart." Our mother whispered, smiling warmly at us, as she got up and left. Eh....?

I was so surprised by her sudden comment, that I was stuck staring blankly at the ceiling for a while.

*****

My older brother, Kian, is hugging me tightly, and in a really uncomfortable way. If one were to look at us from afar, it would seem that he was suffocating me.

I can't ask him to move either. I can't forget he'd bawl his eyes out like any normal toddler....

As for the maid here, she's been staring us down for the past ten minutes. I haven't even noticed her blink. Is she alright, I wonder?

"You both are so cute... as expected of the grand duke and duchess' children." The maid remarked, holding a hand to her chin as she stared at us.