Chapter 5 {EDITED}

"La, la, la, la, la! ~" A little brown-haired girl could be heard singing, her bright green eyes twinkling. She skipped on the sidewalk as she moved her head side-to-side.

"I'm so excited to go home today!" She stopped and muttered to herself, then continued to skip on the way to her home.

When she arrived, she was met with an unexpected site. A gruesome, bloody scene. A cat could be found laid on the ground, lifeless and unmoving.

The child looked up to find a middle-aged woman, holding a bloodied knife as a sinister smile crept up on her expression.

"M-mommy....? W-w-what is the cat doing on the floor?" The little girl asked in fear, as she scanned the then clean house now stained with red splotches all over.

"Heh... hah. Marilyn, my sweet child, have you been well at school?" The woman went up to the girl as she hugged her, the blood on the woman's hands spreading to the child's clothes and hair.

"Mommy, you didn't answer my question... what is our cat doing on the floor?"

"...Don't worry, dear. It's nothing." She said as she caressed her head and kissed her cheek.

The woman let go of the child from the embrace as she went up to the kitchen sink, washing her hands and the knife.

"Is it really nothing, mommy...?" The girl asked once more, doubt and uncertainty laced in her voice. The woman paused for a moment, rooted to her spot as the running water was the only sound keeping the place from complete silence.

Then, the woman gripped the knife so hard that the vein in her hand looked like it would pop. Suddenly, the woman lunged towards the child, raising the roughly held knife in her hands.

"I told you.... IT'S NOTHING!!!"

----------

"AAAHHHHHHH!!!" I sprung out from the bed, sweating like crazy. What the fuck was that...? I thought, wiping my forehead.

"Haa... haa...." I panted, gasping for breath. I held my hand to my chest as if my life depended on it. I could feel and hear my heart thump loudly, and I knew I wouldn't calm down anytime soon.

I tried to recall my dream, but to no avail. I couldn't even remember a single scene... One thing was for sure. It wasn't a pleasant feeling.

Dazed in my thoughts, the door to my room slammed open, bringing my personal maid and my older brother into view. They immediately dashed over to me, noticing my disorderly state.

"Sister, are you alright?!" Kian, my older brother asked with a distraught look on his face.

"I.... yes, I am. There's no need to fret about it." I replied, trying to relieve their worry. However, my words couldn't alleviate them, as both he and my maid just glanced at me with even more concern.

"Did you have a bad dream, Willow?" He wondered as he patted my head and hugged me. Remembering the lingering feeling of fear, I sank in his embrace as I nodded.

".....You could say that." I murmured, just loud enough for both of them to hear.

"You're only six, Willow. You should rely on your older brother more!" He said as he let go from the embrace, patting me on the shoulder with a cheeky smile.

"And you're only seven, Kian. Stop bragging about something that isn't even to be prideful about." I retorted in a snarky manner. He just looked at me with a tilted head, clearly confused. Why's he looking at me like that?