Chapter 29

"Dylan, take your younger siblings and go!"

These were my father's very words... and also his last. I could still remember his trembling hands holding mine, as he hugged me, telling me it would be fine.

My life started going downhill when I was just seven. Bandits came into our small village, killing anyone and everyone in sight. They barged into our home, and killed my mother who tried to stop them from entering. My father died trying to help us run away, and my older brother died protecting us from an arrow.

My older sister and I were hiding by a tree in the forest near our village as I hid in her arms. I could do nothing but stare at the village, ignoring the pleas, the screams, and the cries of pain.

I couldn't remember how much time passed. It felt like forever. It was as if time had stopped. Eventually, nothing could be heard. My sister and I walked out from hiding, the bright sunlight bringing the once thriving village into view.

"There's.... there's nothing left." I muttered out loud. There was only ash and black debris everywhere. Everyone is dead, everything... everything is ruined. I held her hand as tightly as I could, but it felt cold.

I looked up to her as she gave me a forced smile, falling on to her knees then to the ground. It was only then that I saw the arrow shot on her side, with a lot of dried up blood below it. She must've been shot while we ran away. This sister of mine....

"Dellia!" I cried out. She didn't tell me she was hurt, so that I wouldn't be scared. I'm sure of it. She murmured with every last bit of her body,

"Dan, please.... please live. For... us....." She breathed her last after that. I couldn't remember what happened after that. Did I run away..? Did I get brought here? I wasn't sure. What was certain is that I was in the slums of Vestor kingdom.

It had been a year since then. I had to go through heaps of trash just to find food. Sometimes, people would beat me up just because they felt like it. I crawled and struggled with all I could, trying my best to live.

My family was poor. Even the village we were in was in poor condition. But I was happy with them, with everyone. Life seemed sweet and fun in the past. I wanted to go back to those days.

However, that wish was impossible to grant. I was sitting in the rain, thinking I just wanted to die along with them. But then, I remembered my sister's final words. She wanted me to live. They wanted me to live. I couldn't die. I had to live.

While I was walking around, I heard word about the village I used to live in. Apparently, no noble had done anything until now. It was a year, yet they still hadn't done anything? Not even go through the pile of debris I saw with my very eyes?!

I was more than pissed hearing the news. Those people... the people who have power, who have money, didn't do anything about it?! Unbelievable. I started to hate nobles after that.

One day, I was beaten up so badly that I threw up. My vision was blurry that time, but I remembered seeing figures in black taking me to a large carriage. I didn't know where they were taking me. There were other children along with me in that tiny room. Back then, I really thought I was going to die.

Then, all of a sudden, the carriage door busted open. Many people in knight armor went around the room, untying the ropes on our hands. One person in particular, told us that everything would be alright. He was called Marshal Henry.