Chapter 10 {EDITED}

Inside the manor of marquis Norman, multiple girls were gathered during midday, one of them being me, Willow Von Everett. We were in the manor's garden, taking comfort in the shade of the gazebo present.

We were seated on cushioned chairs surrounding a circular table, laden with trays of sweets and cups of tea. The area was well-decorated, and this was the usual set-up for a tea party, like the one I'm currently attending.

Strangely enough, among these girls, I was the youngest. While they were eight to eleven, I was the only one at the youthful age of seven.

"Miss Willow, I heard that you were involved in an assassination last year. Are you alright?" Leila Norman, daughter of marquis Norman, and the host of this gathering, asked as she looked at me, unable to hide her worry.

"Oh, yes, I did hear some word about that from my father before...." Christina Elrod, daughter of count Elrod, chimed in, seemingly trying to recall more. Seeing their concern, I replied.

"Mmm, I'm doing fine. Those are nothing but false words." I lied as I added, putting down the teacup I sipped from moments ago, "I was merely unwell for two days."

"Ah, I see! It's crazy how much rumors are different from the truth." Phoebe Quion, daughter of viscount Quion, remarked in surprise, holding a hand to her mouth while saying so.

"I heard that information from viscount Miller's son, Owen. That explains a lot." Leila elaborated, sighing exasperatedly at the seemingly false information she'd obtained.

"Owen Miller....? Is he the quiet one?" Christina wondered, an image of the timid and shy son of count Miller running through her mind.

"No... he's the rude and annoying one...." Leila groaned before replying, rolling her eyes at the thought of the obnoxious boy.

"Oh, did you hear he confessed to duke Atlee's daughter? He was blatantly rejected, apparently....." Phoebe said, her voice fading while their eager and lively chattering disappeared into the depths of my mind. Throughout the tea party, only one thought rang in my mind.

Please, get me out of here....!

*****

"Miss Willow, before you depart!" Leila Norman called out, waving her hands up in the air. Having caught my attention, I turned to her in askance.

"Will you attend Marquis Verlé's birthday banquet?" She asked, her eyes unable to hide her curiosity. That's what she held me up for...?

Realizing the ridiculous reason for my delay, I gulped down my sigh as I replied, "Yes... I received an invitation yestermorning."

"Do you have an escort yet?" Leila wondered, voicing her words rather eagerly. However, her question only arose thoughts.

"An escort?" I blurted out, and after a few seconds, I'd realized she meant an escort for the banquet. Having figured out her words, I replied, "Ah, no.... I haven't as of now."

"I see! Tell me if you need one. My older brother can be your escort!" Leila suggested as she moved closer to me.

"Are you talking about master Liam?" I asked, feeling awkward about the short distance between us. Seeing her nod furiously, I remembered my first, short meeting with her brother.