Chapter 19 {UNEDITED}

I am the eldest daughter of the Alpin family, born to my father, Chancellor Alpin. My father was a gentle person, just like my mother and brother. I was born with privilege, and granted a kind and loving family.

I've been blessed, and I am truly happy... so maybe that was why it happened, as the price for my happiness and blessings.

I was born different, different from the others around me. Every single patch of skin in my body was covered with spots of black. My appearance was odd and abnormal.

Ever since my birth, I believed myself to be ugly. People would cast curious gazes on me, and eventually whisper about me in the shadows, calling me a cursed and disgusting child. My spotted skin horrified everyone around me, and I wished I had been born normally.

Even so, my family loved me dearly. My father, who always pat my head gently. My mother, who gave me the warmest hugs. And my brother, who would never fail to protect me.

They told me that one day, I would find someone that would not shun me for my unusual features. But I refused to believe that as truth.

That's why I shut myself in my room, isolating myself from the world's view. I could not bear the gazes of the people, the words of insult, and the whispers whenever I passed by.

In my room, where I found peace of mind, I read book after book. The wonderful stories within these pages, helped me escape from my cruel reality. When I was reading, I could forget all my troubles.

I loved writing as well. Imagining stories, that I know could never be experienced by someone as outcasted as I, brought me joy as I daydreamed of myself in those fantasies.

In my mind, I could atleast be a person loved and appreciated by society..

"Eliza, honey, please accompany your brother to his tea party." My father said, gently as ever.

Up until now, I had never attended any sort of public event. After all, it will only take one look at me before the murmurs started going around.

Because of this, I really did not want to go outside. I told my father of this, and how I felt about being there. However, my father did not agree on that day.

"Listen, Eliza. I understand how you feel, but you have to remember that you need to go outside eventually. You could even be required to attend Herreia Academy." He explained. I argued that I might be a bother to him, however....

"The upcoming tea party is actually a setup to find a potential partner for your brother. You must be there to help find him a person who fits him, as you are the sister of Elliot." My father added.

I was shocked to find that we would be looking for a fiancée for my older brother. Even more surprising is that my brother was the one who suggested it. I could not understand why he would ask of such, yet I had no choice but to comply.

He was right... regardless of my misgivings, I knew most that I would have to step out of the estate someday. So, I mustered up the courage to attend just this once.

With that, I attended my brother's tea party, which was also my very first one. It was a large and fancy party, with crowds of a size I'd never seen before.

At first, I followed my brother wherever he went, fearing that I would be separated from him. Yet that same exact terror was what happened to me. I was surrounded by three girls, each with their faces of judgement and disgust. They brought me to the garden, in which they had encircled me under a big tree.