Chapter 24

I was gazing at the blue sky, with the soft wind blowing the trees and my hair. As I took in the view, I noticed the great mage, now known as my mentor, descending the tower.

"So.... great mage. When will I be learning some magic lessons?" I asked him. After yesterday's breakfast, he told me that I should be the one making meals. He said that he was horrible at cooking, so he often bought food in disguise. The only thing I could do was nod my head in reluctance.

"Hmm.... that's for later." He replied blankly. I was slightly disappointed from his response.

Since I had two years before the game events start, I needed to use the time I had to my advantage. If I could just improve my magic, I'd stand a chance against the overpowered leading characters.

"Well, I'll be collecting some wild herbs. I'll be going!" He waved his hand as he teleported. I still can't get used to that fog from his teleporting.

"Take care...." I muttered.

While he's gone, it would be best to make the most of my free time. I went to the top of the tower through an elevator-like contraption. The tower really resembled the one from Tangled.

I walked to the bookshelf and picked a few books about the basics of magic. I opened the cover and skimmed through the first few pages.

Just like what I read before, there are only two ways to cast magic. The two ways are by chanting, or making magic runes. Though nowadays, mages focus more on chanting. It's easier to cast a spell that way, and runes take longer to prepare, not to mention the weak firepower.

There are 5 fundamentals to magic. Magic affinity, mana pool, mana cost, magic manipulation, and magic velocity.

Your magic affinity determines the type of magic you can cast. There are three rarities of affinities, which are common, rare, and mythical. They are further divided into categories of elements.

The common affinities are nature, fire, water, and wind. The rare affinities are light and dark. Lastly, the mythical affinities are time, space, creation, and destruction.

Usually, a person will have one or two affinities for magic. It is common standard for nobles, and it's very unlikely that commoners will be able to have an affinity. This explains why Heather was of such importance to the game.

Having three affinities is rare, and the people that have this number are the nobles of high status, such as the grand duke and chancellor. For four affinities, people known to have this many were only from the royal bloodline, including the king.

Having five and more affinities is near impossible. The only people known to have this number of magic are only stated in tales, dating back as far as 6,000 years, counting as well the rarities of the affinities.

The mythical affinities are stated only in legends. Although there's been no record of anyone having these rarities of affinities in 4,000 years, people still believe that such powers exist and will one day be manifested.

The next fundamental is mana pool. This is how much mana you have inside of you. Mana is required to cast spells. The average mana cost for a basic magic spell is 50-100.

The mana pool of someone with no affinity is estimated to be around 0-99. For a beginner, it's around 100-499. The average mana pool is 500-999. Lastly, the mana pool for an advanced person is 1000+.