B A N E

XXIV

"WELCOME TO BRISBANE MANOR," Lady Thomas announced cheerfully. Their butler must've been keeping a look out for our carriage, because by the time we reached the residence steps, our hosts were already outside.

"It's good to see you Lady Thomas," I greeted. "Thank you for inviting us." I nodded to her husband. They were both in their late ages, but I could swear Lord Thomas looked a decade younger than she. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, sir."

"Oh none of that!" Lady Thomas answered brightly. "Call me Mary."

"Mother," Matthew said, kissing her on both cheeks. "I was meaning to visit you soon."

Mary rolled her eyes. "Yes, of course you were. Inside."

Mary took us on a tour of the entire household before we finally had lunch. The conversation was polite enough, until Lord Thomas mentioned children. "It's been four years," Lord Thomas said, as if we did not know already. "When are you going to make a go of it?" My venison nearly got caught in my throat.

"We're trying," Matthew replied smoothly. "We just haven't been blessed with one yet."

"Oh really?" Mary asked. Her words had a purposeful, sarcastic drawl that I immediately deciphered. I gave Matthew a glance, hoping he'd see it for the bait that it was.

"Really."

"Then why am I hearing rumors that you have some pregnant tramp living with you and your wife?" A pervasive quiet followed. No one dared to move. "How can you do such a thing Matthew? How can you hurt your wife this way? How can you do something so shameful?"

"Mother," Matthew said slowly.

"When I heard the rumor, I could scarcely believe it. I knew I had raised my son better than that. Forget all the hurt you're causing. It disrespects your wife, your name, and mine. You bring disgrace upon the whole family," Mary continued.

"That was not my intention."

"That is the effect," Mary exclaimed. "I hear that she's a harlot, or was anyway, so I don't think it would be wise to claim her child. I doubt it's even yours. But many respectable men father bastards and do so discreetly. Send the child and the mother far away and give an annual allowance for his caretaking. That is the way."

"I will do no such thing," Matthew bit out.

"Fine Matthew! Give her a house in the countryside. Look after the child and father him like an heir if you wish. You can even take guardianship if you like. But that woman cannot live with you. She cannot."

"He's going to marry her," I interjected. All of their eyes swiftly cut to me. "He's going to marry her and divorce me."

"He will not marry her," Mary said in a tone that almost made me cower. "I will not have a whore as a daughter-in-law."

"He loves her, Mary. Believe me, I too was against the divorce at first. But I came around. You will too."

Mary looked at me as if I'd grown two heads. "What on earth is wrong with you? You should be thanking me."

"I should be thanking you?" I echoed.

"I am trying to save your marriage and guide my son down the right path." Her face looked hesitant, as if she was resisting the urge to say something, but she opened her mouth again. "If you'd done a better job of keeping your husband he wouldn't have had the gall to move in his mistress in the first place." Lord Thomas put a hand on his wife's arm. He was undoubtedly very uncomfortable with the conversation.