C O U N T R Y S I D E

A/N: Ugh Wattpad is giving me 'technical difficulties.' This is my favorite chapter so far.
If you really love the chapter drop a vote. Or comment your thoughts. I love reading them.

IX

AND FOR A MOMENT, just for a moment, we looked at each other smilingly.

Happily.

I think it was the first time Matthew and I had a true good time with each other, even if it lasted seconds.

"I asked everywhere for you, only to find that you're in the library. Whatever are you doing here darling? You know it's that woman's-" Victoria's voice quieted once she came to the area where Matthew and I were sitting. And scowled. My own smile instantly disappeared from my face. Whatever had transpired between us was clearly over with.

"I enjoyed that," Matthew's voice cut through the silence. I ripped my gaze away from Victoria's. We both turned to look at him. "I haven't ever talked you that...in that way before. It was refreshing...I enjoyed your company." I felt a flame light beneath my skin.

"Thank you," I breathed.

"Matthew," Victoria interrupted, enunciating each syllable with the precise emphasis she needed to convey the clear implication behind her tone. He didn't pay her any mind. His eyes rested on me for a couple seconds, before he re-directed his attention to her.

"Darling," he said sweetly, getting up from the chair. He leisurely walked to Victoria's side and planted a light kiss on her forehead. She, on the other hand, was far from calm. I don't even think the fact that he kissed her registered. Victoria's eyes were zeroed in on me. I rose from my divan to exit the library, Temptations of Love in hand.

"Goodbye Matthew."

🥀

I felt quite triumphant after my moment with Matthew t in the library, even though I knew that I shouldn't. But I couldn't quite keep the giddiness out of my system. Even when I retired, I'm certain that I smiled throughout my slumber. It felt good to finally win, in a sense, against that witch.

My light-heartedness was short-lived. When I awoke, feeling thoroughly refreshed and in good spirits, the first thing I saw was in no way pleasant. My dear aunt Sarah. Standing over me with a domineering stance. In her right hand was a plate with a sparse amount of food. A few blocks of cheese, an egg, and what appeared from my view to be a boiled potato. "Good morning Rose."

"Where's Marigold?" I croaked.

"Marigold? Who's that?" she asked sharply. As if it was really any of her concern whether I interacted with a 'Marigold' or not. Or maybe, she really did think it was.

"She's the girl who always gives me my food in the morning," I answered. I propped myself up. It was like her appearance had not only sucked my positive mood, but pumped fatigue into me as well. My head felt clouded. I couldn't find the energy to run her out with the same type of animation I had done with Agnes.

"Oh the house girl, she sounded relieved, I talked to her. I realized you break your fast within your chambers and thought I might bring your food up to you instead."