A R I D E

A/N: How do you feel about Matthew? As the chapters continue, you'll obviously find out more, but what's your opinion at the moment? I'll be sure to reply to any comments, and feel free to drop a vote if you really liked what you read.

Enjoy the chapter.

V

THE HORSE CONTINUED to gallop with great speed through the woods. Branches of trees cut against my face, and I tugged desperately at the reigns. But, the horse paid no heed. He made no move to slow his pace. At one moment, I decided to give up.

I held tightly to his mane as we stormed deeper and deeper in the wood. My heart raced almost as quickly, panic growing inside me.

How in heaven's name would I find my way back? After what seemed like a full eternity, he came to a steady walk. Then a complete stop. I sat on the steed, unsure of what I should make my next move to be.

Frankly, I felt like collapsing near a tree and crying. The sky was starting to darken with dusk, and I had no clue where I was. I was ready to retreat under an oak tree I saw a few feet away, when I spotted something.

It was several yards away, but I saw the outline of a small hut. I grinned so widely I thought my face would split.

There had to be someone in that cottage, I was sure, that could direct me back to the mansion. Or at least somewhere near Whitfield Mansion, it was like a landmark in our kingdom. Everyone knew where it was.

I hastily climbed off the horse and started toward the hut. However, I had to admit, the closer I got, the less welcoming it looked. It was quite tiny, with one window, and just rather shabby looking.

Now, I made quite a point not to judge off appearance, this included people and things. However, a small ragged hut a long ways into the woods, along with a blackening sky...

Well, you know. It tends to not be associated with the best of things. It gave off an eerie air I wasn't accustomed with. So, once I finally reached the door, I hesitated. Should I knock?

Poo, I thought. What could they do to me that hadn't been done already? I gave a loud determined tap, once, and waited. After a few moments, the door opened.

A middle-aged man answered. Even advancing into his later years, he had a handsome face. Though his dark hair was graying, it was full and healthy-looking. His eyes, a soft emerald, smiled at me. His dress was simple and clean, it was by no means ragged.

"Can I help you Missus?" he asked. His tone was charming and friendly, though he didn't smile. However, he was giving me a strange look. I could, in no way blame him. I was dressed like the noble lady I was, turned at the doorstep of someone in the middle of the woods. And my veil too, I realized.

That had always raised a few eyebrows.

"I would be ever grateful if you could Sir. I was riding my horse and I...err took a wrong turn. I'm terribly lost, and I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction? I live near the Whitfield Mansion," I explained.

I didn't know what had prompted me to lie about where exactly I was geographically located. But I did. The man nodded.

"I know where Whitfield is. And I'd be happy to help, only if you come inside and warm up. You must be chilled to the bone," he said. I then noticed how truly nippy it was outside.

"Thank you Sir. It would be a pleasure," I said with a smile. He waved me into the hut and closed the door once I had entered.