P A R L E R

XXVI

I LOOKED AT HIM expectantly. "Yes?"

"We'll leave after breakfast. We were supposed to leave yesterday but..." Matthew let his words hang in the air. My stomach dropped in disappointment. Brisbane Manor was another world. I didn't want to return to real life.

"Alright." I smoothed invisible creases in my dress. "You should go get ready."

Matthew's lifted in a half-smile. "I know, I look horrid."

I couldn't resist giving him a small grin. "I need to finish getting ready too." We exchanged a reluctant goodbye before going off to our respective rooms. Once I'd put the finishing touches on my appearance, I dallied making it to the dining room. I savored each slow step for I knew as soon as breakfast came to a close, we would be off to our respective houses. Besides, I didn't want to suffer through table discussion with my husband and mother-in-law. It was downright uncomfortable.

When I arrived in the dining room, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was late. Everyone was already seated and chatting comfortably—Matthew was even smiling. "Goodmorning," I greeted.

"Goodmorning, dear," Lord Thomas returned. "We were just discussing the traveling paths this morning."

I did my best to ignore the sting of disappointment that snaked down my spine. "Were you?"

"Yes," Matthew replied. "Archie said that the roads are too dangerous to traverse by carriage. Apparently, they're a lot of broken trees and things down the path."

"Oh," I said, trying my best to my voice light and free of excitement. "So, we aren't leaving today?"

"Correct," my husband affirmed. "I thought we'd stay the weekend as planned. That'll give enough time for the debris to be cleared."

The conversation proceeded normally from there, free of any heated accusations or awkward moments. I was actually enjoying myself until Lady Thomas posed a comment at me directly.

"I hear you love gardens, Rose. Matthew told me of your famous rose garden at Whitfield mansion," she said.

"Roses are my greatest love, ma'am."

"Mary," she corrected. "I know your garden surely puts mine to shame, but would you like to take a walk there? You can give me some tips."

That was the very last thing I wanted to do. I suspected a private conversation meant nothing more than a lecture about my dissolving marriage. But what choice did I have? "I would be honored, Mary."

We bid the men adieu and went outside to walk about the gardens. I felt my heels sink into sticky, deep mud as we sauntered about the grounds. I didn't even look at my dress, which I knew was becoming soaked as we walked on. Mary seemed to pay it no mind. "I owe you an apology," she finally said, once we reached a crop of petunias.

"It's not needed."

"It is." The woman got her knees and proceeded to pluck flowers from the ground. I stared at the mucky ground with profound distaste before reluctantly following suit. "I should've never blamed the state of your marriage on you alone. I know I would've lost my cool if my mother-in-law had done the same." I remained silent. I was pleasantly surprised with the tide of conversation. Mary glanced at me with Matthew's glimmering ocean-blue eyes. "I'm sorry, Rose."