3. new lab partner

"How long is this going to take?" Lydia asked. "Practice is only an hour. You'll live" Maddie said. It was the day before the first game and according to Maddie, the Siren's most important practice.

It also happened to be the day her mom had a meeting with her lawyer about the divorce and so she had to drop Lydia off at the high school to wait with her sister since their mom didn't want her home alone.

"Why is she here?" Lydia asked, pointing down the bleachers. Maddie turned and looked at the little girl, around the same age as Lydia, sitting on the bleachers on the other side of the gym.

"I don't even know who that is. Just be nice" Maddie said. "It's Cora Hale and I will not be nice to her," Lydia said. Maddie looked up at the mention of the girl's last name. She must've been Derek's little sister.

"Why don't you like her?" Maddie asked. "We. Why don't we like her? Remember, whoever I don't like, you don't like either" Lydia said. Maddie laughed, not at all surprised by her sister's antics.

"Fine. Lydia. Why don't we like the probably totally innocent 9 year old girl?" she asked. "I don't know. She just bothers me" Lydia said.

"Yeah well I guess it runs in the family. Her brother's a menace" she said. And as if Derek could hear her, he turned and she rolled her eyes as he winked at her.

After practice, Maddie and Lydia walked over to the car, and they turned to hear someone calling Maddie's name. "What the hell are you doing here?" she asked, seeing Camden walk towards her.

"I just wanted to talk," he said. "Lydia, wait in the car," Maddie said, handing her sister the keys. "Talk about what? About how you invited me over and tried to take advantage of me while I was drunk" Maddie said, crossing her arms.

"I wanted to apologize. I wouldn't have hurt you" he said, grabbing her arm. "Well I don't believe you. I believe my friends. Now let go of me" she said trying to pull her arm away but his grip only tightened. "Please. Just hear me out" he said.

"She said let go," Derek shouted. Camden turned around only to be met by Derek punching him in the face. "Oh my god! Derek!" Maddie shouted, stepping back to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

"Derek! Let go!" his little sister shouted. Groaning, Maddie stepped in and pushed Derek off Camden before pulling him up. "What the hell is wrong with you?" she shouted.

Derek didn't say anything as he just glared at Camden lying on the floor behind him. "Hello? Moron! God, hurry up and get in the car. Both of you" she said, gesturing to Cora. "What?" he asked, looking at her as she walked over to the driver's side. "Get in the car! Now!" she snapped.

Derek sighed as he and Cora hopped in her backseat. "Exactly how much of an idiot are you?" she asked him and she pulled out and drove off leaving Camden in the parking lot.

"What? I was helping you" he said. "Why is she in the car with us?" Lydia asked, looking at Cora. "We're taking them home. Be nice" Maddie said before looking back at Derek through her mirror.

"Are you completely forgetting that you're team captain and the first game is tomorrow. A game you wouldn't be playing in, by the way, if you got suspended for getting into a fight in the school parking lot" she said.

Derek just sighed knowing she was right and also knowing that Cora was definitely going to tell their mom. But he couldn't help it. He could hear her heartbeat rising as Camden's grip on her tightened and it took everything in him not to completely shift.

"Where do you live anyway?" she asked. "The preserve" he mumbled. "You're kidding? You live in the middle of the woods?" she asked.

"We own half of the preserve and it's not as creepy as you think," he said. When Maddie pulled her car up to the huge mansion in the middle of the woods she was shocked. "You're right. It's not creepy. It's actually terrifying" she said.