10. burns

When Maddie opened her eyes, she groaned as the harsh fluorescent lights were directed right toward her.

"Oh sweetie you're awake! Here, drink this" her mom said as she stood up and handed her a cup of water. Maddie groaned as she sat up taking the cup from her mom.

She was happy for the water but was confused about where she was and what happened.

"What happened?" she asked. "There was an animal attack at the school during the dance. Kate said she saw you step out for air and then you never came back in" Natalie said.

Maddie stared ahead as she tried to piece together the memories she had from the dance. Her hand instinctively went to her side where she remembered getting bit.

"Oh my god. Derek! Where's Derek?" she asked. "He's outside. All your friends are. They've been stopping by all week. I brought Lydia a few times too. I called your dad and he's been staying in a hotel not too far from here" Natalie said.

"All week? I've been here all week?" she asked, finally looking around at all the balloons and flowers scattered across the floor.

"How about I go home and bring your sister and call your dad. I can let your friends in" she said.

"Derek. Only Derek" she said, needing to figure out what happened to her.

The night of the dance, Derek left the cellar with his mom trying to ignore the fact that the smell of the cherry-scented perfume was slowly fading around him.

He sat in bed staring at the wall unable to get the image of her bloody body in his arms out of his head. His phone had been ringing nonstop until he finally turned it off.

He knew that in the morning there would be questions. Once they found her body everyone would want to know what happened.

He closed his eyes trying to only remember the last happy moment with her at the dance. Her head on his chest, his arms wrapped around her.

He knew everything would be different now. School would be different.

Not having her sitting next to him during chemistry class or sitting in the cafeteria with their friends.

Game days and practice would be different not seeing on the sidelines performing and cheering.

Without her ordering around the other sirens after practice. No more spending every Wednesday at her house or bothering her while she tried to do homework.

He looked over at the box he already had wrapped that he was planning on giving to her for her birthday.

He laid in bed for hours thinking about how different his entire life was going to be now that she wasn't here anymore.

It was morning when his bedroom door burst open and Tristan walked in. "What the hell? Why aren't you answering your phone?" he asked.

"I turned it off," Derek mumbled, not getting up. "Why? Derek, you need to get up. It's Madelyn" Tristan said.

"I know," Derek said, his voice raw from crying as he sat up. "You know? So why the hell are you sitting here? Everyone's at the hospital" he said.

"What?" "She got out of surgery like 30 minutes ago," he said. "She's alive?" Derek asked as he stood up.

"What? Yes, dude, she's alive. Everyone's been trying to call you all night" he said.

When Derek found out she was alive he made Tristan push way past the speed limit to get to the hospital.

He ran in seeing Kate and Willow sitting in the waiting room. When Willow saw Derek and Tristan walk she stood up and marched over.

"Where the hell have you been?" she asked. "Where is she? Is she awake?" he asked.