6. cherry coke and peanut m&m's

"Are you okay? You look like you're about to vomit?" she asked, looking over at Derek who sat in her passenger seat. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just nervous" he said. "Why?" she asked. "Remember when I said my family could be...hectic?" he said.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. They can't be that bad" she laughed as they got out of the car and Maddie walked in after him. Derek looked around and was surprised to see that his house was empty. "Um, my rooms upstairs," he said, leading her up the stairs before it dawned on him that he had never actually had a girl in his room before.

Especially not one like Madelyn. "So where's your hectic family?" she asked, noticing the house was dead silent. "Not sure actually. But I guess it's a good thing since now we have the entire house to ourselves" he said. "Nice try. I'm here to do this lab project and only this lab project" she said sitting on his bed.

"How do you even know that's not what I was thinking too?" he asked, sitting next to her. "Because you're a hormonal teenage boy," she said, pulling out her books. "And you're not a hormonal teenage girl?" he asked. "Absolutely not. We are going to work on this project and I'm not letting you distract me" she said.

"You don't think I can distract you?" he asked brushing a piece of hair out of her face. "No. I have laser-like focus" she said, not removing her eyes from the book in front of her. "What if I got closer?" he asked, moving closer. "Not happening," she said, writing down her notes.

"What if I did this?" he asked, placing a hand on her cheek as he pressed a kiss to her jaw. "Nice try," she said but he could hear her heartbeat rising. "What if I did this?" he asked, turning her head toward him leaving their faces only inches from each other.

"Mmm-mmm" she mumbled, shaking her head but didn't move as he brought her lips to hers. Her books falling to the floor, he leaned forward pushing her back on the bed as he hovered over her. Her hands moved to his hair as he kissed down her neck. "Derek, di-"

The two broke apart as his bedroom door opened, his mom standing at the door. "I wasn't aware you had company," she said. "Um, yeah. We were just um working on a science project" Derek said as he stood up, Maddie standing next to him. Sensing the awkwardness Maddie smiled and held out her hand.

"Madelyn. Madelyn Martin. I'm friends with him and Tristan. I'm head cheerleader of the Sirens" she said. Talia smiled, not expecting the young girl to have such an outgoing personality. "Nice to meet you, Madelyn. Will you be joining us for dinner?" Talia asked. "I would love to," she smiled.

"We'll see you two downstairs then," Talia said before leaving his room and walking downstairs. "You don't actually have to stay if you don't want to," Derek said, trying not to show how embarrassed he was. "Do you not want me to?" she asked. "It's not that it's just...my family can be...a lot," he said.

"Have you ever had dinner with Kate's family? They're like the most intense people on the planet. Besides, I meant it when I said we were starting this project today" she said. "You really don't give up do you?" he laughed. "Of course not," she said as he led her downstairs.

When they made it down his entire family was gathered around the table. They all stopped talking as they turned to see who Derek had brought home for dinner. "Everyone, this is Derek's friend Madelyn. She's gonna be joining us" Talia said as Derek led her to a seat at the table.

"A fellow Siren. Always welcome here" Laura smiled as they all sat down. "I thought family dinners were supposed to be just that. Family" Peter said glaring at Derek who kicked him under the table.

"Peter, don't be jealous that you don't have anyone to bring home," Laura teased as Maddie laughed ignoring the glare Peter sent her. "So Madelyn do you have any siblings?" Talia asked. "A little sister. Lydia. I'm pretty sure she and Cora are in the same class" she said.