20. family

Three Weeks Later

"The search is still on for the arsonist behind the fire at 348 Crescent Rd, less than a week ago. Police don't have a suspect at the moment but sources say-"

Maddie grabbed the remote turning the tv off. "You know you guys shouldn't be watching that," she said, her voice soft as she looked at the siblings in front of her.

When Maddie came too, in Derek's arms, paramedics and firemen rushing around her she learned just how devastating the fire at the Hale house was. Laura and Peter got out.

But they were the only ones to get out. Maddie had successfully gotten her powers back, putting an end to the fire that had consumed the house but it was too late. She was too late.

Her mom didn't hesitate to let Laura and Derek stay with them while they tried to figure out how to put the pieces of their lives back together. Peter was still in the hospital, completely unconscious, in a coma that no one knew if he would wake from.

"How can they say they don't have any suspects? Are the Argents seriously just going to get away with this?!" Derek asked. "Of course not! I don't know how yet but you know there's no way I'm letting that happen" Maddie said.

To say she felt horrible was an understatement. She couldn't tell Derek the truth about giving up her powers. He'd hate her. She convinced herself it was unnecessary to tell him. It would only make things worse.

Instead, she'd do everything she possibly could to make sure the Argents paid for what they did to Derek and his family. Her family.

"I just have no idea what we're supposed to do now," Laura said, the overwhelming feeling of having to not only deal with the death of her family but being solely responsible for her and her brother taking over.

"You know that you guys aren't alone," Maddie said. "My mom said you can stay as long as you want and we're all here for you. Seriously, whatever you need" she added.

The doorbell rang interrupting their conversation

The doorbell rang interrupting their conversation. "I'll get it," she said, leaving them in the living room to answer the door. To no surprise, it was Tristan and Willow. "Hey" she smiled.

"Hey. How are they?" Willow asked as they both walked in. "Good. I mean all things considered" and it was true. Maddie had never lost anybody and had no idea what they must've been going through.

They all walked into the living room joining Laura and Derek who were still sitting on the couch, both of their minds obviously somewhere else.

"Your mom here?" Tristan asked. "No, only Lydia. But she'll probably be back soon" Maddie told him. "Well that's good because I-" he paused as he fished through his pockets "brought this."

Maddie rolled her eyes as he pulled out a joint. "Jesus Tristan. Really?" she asked. "What? To help them relax" he shrugged. "We can't get high" Derek reminded him.