14. burned bridges

"Fire faires have the ability of spontaneous combustion. They can make fire out of thin air and control it's movement and intensity."

Maddie had been locked in her room all day doing nothing but testing out her new powers. Winter break turned out to be a great time to gain some type of control before she had to go back to school.

She had been keeping a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. So far, getting the flame to ignite in her hand wasn't the problem. It was getting it to go away.

Derek told her that her powers were most likely controlled by her emotions like his were. And anger, the most powerful one had been all Maddie was feeling lately.

Not only was this the longest she and Kate had ever gone without talking to each other but it was devastating knowing that Kate saw her as a monster.

That the girl she'd known since kindergarten now hated her. Part of her couldn't help but wonder if Kate could ever hurt her.

If it came down to it could Kate kill her? Or what if Maddie had to kill Kate? She never imagined having to choose between her bestfriend and her boyfriend but now it was matter of life and death.

Maddie groaned, knowing there was no way she was going to figure this out by herself. Picking up her phone she dialed Willow's number.

"Hey. What are you doing right now?" she asked. "Painting my nails, why?" Willow asked. "Do you wanna go to the mall?"

"Duh."

⬳⬳⬳⬳⬳⬳

"They're making me volunteer at an old folks home this summer" Willow groaned, complaining about her parents as both she and Maddie walked through the mall, slushies in hand.

"Ew. Why?" she asked. "To make my college application stronger I guess" Willow shrugged. "I am definitely not going to be hanging around a bunch of old people. I'm gonna run for student body president" Maddie said.

"I'm sure you'll win. I doubt anyone would run against you" Willow said. "Obviously. You should get Tristan to volunteer with you. He's probably just going to be playing video games with Derek all summer" she said.

"Speaking of Derek, who I still can't believe your dating. How's that going?" Willow said, wiggling her eyebrows.

Maddie smiled as she took a sip from her slushie. "Amazing. Which is something I never thought I would say about any high school boy" she said.

"I always knew it was meant to be," Willow said as Maddie rolled her eyes. "You did not. But what about you and Tristan? High school sweethearts still a match made a heaven?" she teased.

"Yeah. We're good" Willow said, a small smile that didn't really meet her eyes. "You're lying" Maddie simply said.

"No I'm not."

"Wills, seriously. What is it? Did he do something because if he did I swear I'll kill him?" she said, completely serious.

"He didn't do anything. It's just...we got into a huge fight yesterday" Willow sighed. "About what?" she asked.

"The scout that's coming to their game next week," Willow told her. Maddie looked at her confused. "What scout?"

 "What scout?"