17. senior scribe

IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END

Maddie knew it was a bad idea. Derek knew it was a bad idea. He had only told her more than a dozen times.

He left out the part about Peter and Laura's revelation but reminded her it was a bad idea nonetheless.

During lunch, Kate told Maddie to meet her at Lookout Point after school. It was under the impression that Kate wanted to talk and try to solve their differences.

Had this been anyone else Maddie would've never shown. She would've quickly decided that it was a trap.

But this was Kate. And while Maddy was suspicious she wasn't scared. Even without her powers to protect herself.

She held on to the hope that Kate was someone she'd known her whole life. And that somewhere deep down that had to count for something.

"I was starting to think you weren't coming," Kate said as Maddie walked out of the car. "I'm starting to think this is just some ploy to murder me," she said walking over but still keeping a distance.

"I'm not here to hurt you. At least not while you're wearing that" Kate said, gesturing to the bracelet on her wrist.

"So why'd you ask me to meet you here?" Maddie asked, wanting to get it over with. "I meant what I said. The Maddie I knew, she died that night-"

"Kate, I am seriously not in the mood for this" Maddie huffed, ready to walk away. "But I know how to get her back," Kate said.

Maddie was quiet as she looked at Kate wondering what she was talking about. Or what she knew.

"How much have they told you about what you are?" Kate asked. "Enough."

"Trust me. With all that power you can never know enough" Kate said. "What do you know?" Maddie asked.

"I know about the dragon flame. And I know that it's what you use to channel your powers" she said. "What the hell is the dragon flame?" Maddie asked.

"It's ancient. And very rare. Apparently, it surfaces in times of great conflict, and I'd say now are pretty conflicting times" she said.

Maddie scoffed. "Let me guess. It's just another reason that you and your gun nut family want to kill me?" she asked.

"You right on that. It's why I asked you here. I want my friend back and I don't want to kill her. And I bet there's a part of you that wishes none of this ever happened to you. So, I'm giving you an out. Give it to me."

"What?"

"Give your powers to me. Well, not really to me but I can take it off your hands" Kate said.

"What?"

Maddie braced herself as Kat turned and pulled something out of her car. For a moment, she was sure Derek had been right and this was a trap to kill her.

But when Kate pulled out a giant crystal she figured her chances of dying from it were pretty slim.

"What is that?" she asked.

"It's called a convergence crystal. You can channel all your powers into this handy little tool and it'll keep it locked up safe. And you'd be free. No more setting people on fire and no more wearing that god awaful bracelet" Kate told her.

"No" Maddie shook her head. "I am not giving you my powers. Especially if I have something so powerful" she said.

"Oh come on. You wouldn't be giving to me. It'd be contained in the crystal. And I know you Maddie. I know you don't actually want this" Kate said.