15. out of control

"How could she do this to me?!" Maddie shouted. "She's just trying to get under your skin," Derek said.

"And it's working! And she...I know, okay. I know that like hunters are after us and we have to be careful but this is different, Derek! She was my best friend. She knows me better than anyone else and I know Kate. She's not just going to stop here. She plays to win" she said.

"That's not true," he said, taking her hands. "What?"

"Kate does not know you better than anyone. I'd like to think that's me. And one that that Kate doesn't know is that if she's playing to win you're playing for keeps. You're Madelyn Martin. No one beats you."

⬳⬳⬳⬳⬳⬳

"Rachel. Let's try it again. We step on three not two" Maddie said. "I'm sorry. But I can't focus with that going on" Rachel said, gesturing to the basketball practice on the other side of the gym.

Before Maddie could do anything, Coach Gilligan walked in, blowing her whistle. "Sirens! Gather round" she shouted.

Willow patted Maddie on the shoulder, easily being able to tell how annoyed she was that some stranger was leading her team.

"I know that sharing a gym isn't the most ideal space," Gilligan said. "It's not. But I already talked to Greenwood and trust me, this is the best we're getting" Maddie said.

"I don't think that's true. I also spoke with Greenwood and he's agreed to let us have the gym on Tuesday's and Thursday's while the basketball team gets-"

"Every other day of the week?" Maddie asked, not caring that she interrupted her. "We can't just practice twice a week. We practice everyday. It's been that way since I first started. We're not going to win nationals practicing twice a week" she said.

"Maybe you need to trust your team a little more," Gilligan said. "I trust them just fine, thank you. I also think I know them better than you" Maddie said.

Gilligan paused, taking a deep breath, before looking at Maddie. "Join me in my office please," she said, gesturing towards the doors that led to outside of the gym.

Derek looked up, hearing Maddie's heartbeat pounding as she and Coach Gilligan walked out of the gym. Trying to focus on practice he kept his ears trained on Maddie, making himself ready to step in if he ever needed to.

"Look, I know-"

"No you listen," Gilligan said. "When Gerard sent me to keep an eye on you he told me you'd be piece of work," she said.

"Gerard? As in Gerard Argent?" Maddie asked, shocked at how far they were going to watch her. "The one and only. Any misstep you make gets reported right back to him. Making you tick is my job. Along with being this cheer squads new coach" she said.

"You are not in charge" Maddie snapped. "Oh. But I am. And unless you want your little boyfriend to get in trouble for your mistakes I suggest you get into your spoiled bratty little head" Gilligan smiled.

Maddie stood there, ready to burst into flames. "Now please. Get out of my office. And remind the girls we no longer meet tomorrow. I'll see you Thursday."

Furious, Maddie turned stormed out and slammed the door behind her. But she didn't walk back to the gym as Gilligan requested.

Instead, she stood there frozen, almost like she was in a trance. Her eyes turned a burning orange just like a flame.

She turned, and grabbed the door handle, heating it until it was too hot to touch. She watched through the window in the door as a flame sparked from the back of the classroom.