12. she knows

"Derek, this is stupid," Maddie said. "Just try," he said, sitting across from her.

He wanted her to test out the limits of her new abilities while she just wanted to pretend she didn't have any.

"Why do I have to do this?" she asked. "Because you have to learn how to control it. You blew up a beaker in class and almost lit the school on fire. And don't forget the third-degree burns I would still have if I couldn't heal" he said.

She rolled her eyes as she was under the impression they weren't going to talk about it anymore.

"What am I even supposed to do?" she asked. "Maybe just think about the candle lighting," he said.

"Seriously?" she asked. "Maddie," he insisted, knowing that she was just stalling. "Fine," she muttered, focusing on the candle in front of her.

She could almost feel a warmth inside of her as a flame sprouted from the tip of the candle.

"Holy shit," Derek said, surprised that she did it so easily

"Holy shit," Derek said, surprised that she did it so easily. Wanting to test out her own theory she reached her hand out to the flame. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"I just want to see something," she said slowly, placing her hand over the flame. She lowered her hand until it was directly in the fire but she didn't feel anything.

"It doesn't hurt," she said, holding up her hand that was covered in soot. "So heat doesn't bother you?" he asked.

"No. But I mean that makes sense. I've only been able to take a shower with the water on the highest temperature" she said.

"Now you just have to learn how to control it," he said. "Yeah but how do I do that?" she asked.

"Maybe it's like shifting during the full moon. Connected to your emotions. Probably anger" he said.

"Why anger?" she asked. "Because you're a pretty angry person," he said. She rolled her eyes walking over to answer her phone that started ringing.

"Hello?" she asked. "It's me. I need you to come over" Kate said.

"Why? What's wrong?" she asked. Kate was silent for a moment before she spoke again.

"I just really need to talk to you," she said before hanging up. "What was that about?" Derek asked, having listened to her conversation.

"I have no idea. Probably about whatever guy she's currently seeing" she said.

"Is everyone still coming over tomorrow?" he asked. "Yeah. And please tell Tristan not to forget graham crackers again like last year" she said.

They were having their annual movie night that they always had the night before her birthday and they usually used her fire pit to make smores.

"I will. See you tomorrow. Love you" he said, kissing her goodbye. "Love you" she smiled before walking out.