18. nationals

Talia's words echoed in Derek's head as Maddie sat across from him. Just like Kate's words ran through hers.

"Derek. You have to take it off" she said, gesturing to the bracelet on her wrist. After Derek told her what he knew about the dragon flame, which wasn't a lot, she wanted to be upset.

Upset that he would hide it from her. But then she remembered she didn't tell him about Kate's offer and knew she had no intention to.

"I don't think it's a good idea. What happens if you lose control again?" he asked. "Derek. People are literally trying to kill me because of this. And it's the only way I can protect myself!" she exclaimed.

"I know that but-"

"What happens if you aren't there next time. You've been teaching me how to fight but you and I both know that won't be enough" she said.

Derek sighed, really thinking about what she was telling him. He had thought about that. From the moment Peter told him about the dragon flame.

He knew hunters would be after her because of it, especially after what she did to Coach Gilligan. And he knew that without her powers, she couldn't really protect herself.

And as much as he wanted to, he couldn't be with her 24/7. No matter how hard he tried. "Promise no more accidentally frying people?" he asked. Maddie grinned as she nodded her head.

"Promise." Derek shook his head, hoping he wouldn't regret it as he unlocked the cuff on her arm. As soon as he did, her eyes turned bright orange and her powers came rushing back to her.

Derek scooted back, not knowing what would happen but was surprised when she seemed fine. "How do you feel?" he asked, as she stretched out, feeling the warmth rushing through her body.

She smiled as she looked at him

She smiled as she looked at him. "I feel good," she said, completely telling the truth. She did feel good. She felt powerful. She felt even better, knowing was finally going to get rid of it.

Permanently.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Okay, ladies. Listen and listen closely. Today is the absolute most important day of my life. Which means it's the most important day of your lives too. It's the last cheer national competition I'll ever compete in and I am being 100% serious when I say that if we don't win I will burn down this building and everyone in it to the ground."

Laura looked over at Derek. "Is she always this...intense?" she asked. "Not always. Sometimes it's worse" he said.

Willow looked at the scared look on some of the girl's faces and turned to Maddy. "Remember what we said about encouraging them, not scaring them," she said.

"I am encouraging them! I'm encouraging them to not lose!" she exclaimed. "Why don't you go do some stretches. I'll take over the speech" Willow said. Maddie rolled her eyes but left Willow to give the girls a pep talk.