chapter 16

Chapter 16: The Aroma of Souls

Roy came to the conclusion that the failure to increase magic energy was most likely related to Soul Devouring Addiction.

He suspected that demons loved to devour souls most likely because it would increase their magic power. Otherwise, the demons probably would not be so crazy over them just because of their taste.

So after his train of thoughts, he took one of his remaining souls out.

Should I try one?Come to think of it, I’ve been investing the souls in the system for my modifications and have yet to taste one. Is it really that delicious to a demon?

The soul that Roy took out was the smallest of them. Saliva dripped out of his mouth involuntarily as he stared at the soul. At the same time, an extreme desire arose, just like how he was when he saw delicious food during the time he still was human. He could not wait to eat them!

Roy gulped down his saliva and could not wait to throw this ball of light into his mouth.

The broad bean-sized soul melted—no, it disappeared—as soon as it came into contact with his saliva! The saliva of a demon really could decompose a soul!

At the same time, an indescribably wonderful taste came from Roy’s tongue. His entire body and mind seemed to be in extreme jubilation. It seemed as though his body was frantically secreting dopamine, making his body feel lighter!

He was floating in the clouds…

This feeling lasted for quite some time before slowly dissipating. Roy slowly recovered while constantly reminiscing about the feeling just now. The more he thought about the aftertaste, the more his brain signaled that it wanted more!

Roy nearly could not stop himself from taking out the rest of the souls. Fortunately, he had a bit of self-control and forced himself to resist this urge.

What a close call! This thing is really addictive! Roy touched his chest, feeling a lingering fear after he stopped his impulsive thirst.

After calming down, he discovered that most of the soul seemed to have disappeared, and only a small part transformed into a special feeling, like flowing heat. It spread to all parts of his body first and then gathered again. Finally, it flowed to his heart and stopped there.

Is this flowing heat magic power? Roy experienced it carefully. He was unsure, so he simply opened the system interface to check his stats.

Roy had used up his magic energy when he used Psychokinesis, but he now found that the counter of the magic energy attribute was now 0 (+0.3)!

What does this mean? Is the increase of 0.3 in magic energy something that I slowly recovered myself, or was it caused by consuming that soul?

If it was the latter, it meant that devouring souls could really improve his magic energy. This was not necessarily good news to Roy because it meant that he could not rely solely on the system to strengthen himself but would still need to maintain the growth of his magic energy, meaning that he needed even more souls!

This can’t go on. I have to understand the reason behind the increase in magic energy and then think of ways to improve it! Roy thought. Otherwise, I’ll be poor my whole life!

Setting aside the attribute temporarily, Roy opened a blank new page and began to draw again.

To Roy, the usage of souls in the system was far more efficient than directly devouring them to improve his magic energy attribute. They both consumed souls, but the system could bring about more things, such as the big underpants Roy was drawing now!