chapter 30

Chapter 30: The Changed Plot

Lucius’s presence was a huge variable. It was because of his presence that the townspeople were agitated.

No one would be willing to accept a wanted murderer into their town. For the safety of their families, they would come forward regardless of how timid they were.

“Catch him!” Lucius shouted to the crowd. “In the name of the mayor, I order you to arrest this murderer! I promise that his bounty will be used to rebuild this town and to help the widowed and orphans!”

The impact of this promise was terrific! Upon hearing this, a few men immediately charged at Van Helsing and attempted to catch him.

How could Van Helsing give in without a fight? He was an arrogant person from the start. Even when he was wanted for murder by ignorant people, he never bothered to explain anything. It was also not the first time he found himself in such a predicament either. He immediately drew the pistol kept behind his back and fired two shots into the sky!

The sound of the gunfire deterred the townspeople. They were only holding only axes, sickles, and manure forks, and they understood the might of guns, so of course they did not dare to rush forward.

In the past, Van Helsing had used this method to solve being surrounded and thought it would be no different this time. However, he did not expect that there would be a mishap this time. The mayor, Lucius, also drew a gun and pointed it at Van Helsing!

“I’ll shoot if you dare resist!” Lucius said eerily.

Van Helsing was in a difficult position now. Would he really have to have a gunfight with these people to fight his way out? If so, then he would truly be a murderer!

He came here commissioned by the Knights of the Holy Order of the church to destroy the vampire Dracula. How would he finish his job if he were to be hunted by the entire town?

Van Helsing could not count on the monk Carl. Facing this scene, he had already long curled up in fear. Van Helsing hesitated for a moment before complying. He put down his gun and raised both hands in surrender, leaving himself at the mercy of the large men to twist his hands behind him and press him onto the ground.

“Tie him up!” Lucius felt immensely proud today as he ordered in great delight.

However, at this moment, the silent Anna suddenly said, “Wait, you can’t arrest him!”

Van Helsing was slightly astonished as he turned his head and looked at this lady, not knowing why she would speak out to help him.

Lucius’s face darkened. “Why?”

Anna replied, “If he is really like what you said, and if his name is Van Helsing, then he shouldn’t just be a wanted criminal but also a very famous monster hunter! I know the name. It is said that he killed a vampire a hundred years ago!”

There was a commotion among the townspeople, monster hunter? Vampire hunter?

Lucius could not care less, but he remembered what Roy told him. “Miss Anna, how are you going to guarantee for him?”

Without waiting for her response, he continued, “Miss Anna, I hate to mention it, but I still want to remind you. I admire the oath your family made to the Lord and your family’s efforts to kill Dracula over the centuries. However, have you ever thought that it is the incapability of your family that has resulted in Dracula still being alive today, leading to Transylvania suffering from the vampires for hundreds of years. Every household in this town has lost relatives to the vampires. And this is all the unshrinkable responsibility of your family.”