chapter 77: betrayer

Under the stimulation of the magic power, the memory crystal glowed faintly before projecting an image.

In the image was a half-humanoid demon. His lower body was on all fours, looking like some kind of beast. His upper body was humanoid, his two arms had five fingers, and his muscles were not that well-developed, but what was strange was that this demon’s head had no face, and his face was actually on his chest! At his chest muscles was his pair of eyes. The eyes looked big but also strange because the pupils in the eyeballs were actually horizontal!

At first glance, these eyes with horizontal pupils looked like they were squinting, but they made him feel especially uncomfortable after looking at them for a while, feeling that the pupils were staring at him at all times.

On his abdomen was a hideous mouth with sharp fangs protruding and interlacing. The color of these teeth was different from the skin of his abdomen, so it looked like this demon’s entire abdomen had been cut in two.

Just looking at his appearance, this demon was indeed quite scary… It was a typical monster-like demon.

In addition to this image, there was also a recording in the demon language in the memory crystal. The owner of the voice was the high-rank demon Edrach.

“César, upper-middle-rank demon with the illusion demon bloodline. Good at using illusion magic. He was originally a warrior under the command of Demon Lord Rogeros, but he stole one of Lord Rogeros’s demon artifacts, escaped, and hid in another world. Since we were unable to locate the world he is in, we couldn’t cross worlds to hunt him down. But it doesn’t matter. The repulsive force of that world will send him back. This memory crystal has another function—sensing Lord Rogeros’s demon artifact. Once César is expelled back to the Abyss by the power of the world, the memory crystal will immediately inform you. Kill him and bring his faceless head and the demon artifact back!”

After hearing these details, Roy felt that his tail was about to become knotted. Why is this mission like this?

Executing the target was easy. The level of upper-middle rank was nothing more than having much higher magic power than Roy. Given some time, Roy could catch up by relying on the Magic Energy Growth Potions. However, this demon was actually an illusion demon, which meant that he was very good at deceiving and playing with illusions. Otherwise, it would have been impossible for him to steal something from a demon lord.

Of course, he might have also taken advantage of when the demon lord was negligent…

Unlike in the other worlds, in the Abyss, demon and demon rarely signed demon contracts because there was no repulsive force. Moreover, it seemed like the contracts signed in the Abyss could not take effect. The ruling demons relied on their powerful strength to control resources, and these resources could be the inheritance of demon knowledge, souls, or things that could strengthen demons, such as the demon blood in the pools of refinement. However, because there were no contracts, the low-level demons generally had to serve these rulers or fight for them to obtain these resources. This was the typical form of recruitment.

Of course, there were very few loyal demons. Otherwise, there would not be traitors like César, and there were quite a number of similar cases, not only happening to Lord Rogeros but also to other demon lords. In order to hunt down these rebels, the Abyss had given birth to a unique name—’execution demon’!

Roy had no interest in understanding the specific details of César’s betrayal, but he could tell from this information that his execution target should be someone with relatively high intelligence.

Strictly speaking, these shrewd demons were devils… These kinds of devils who knew how to use intellect were much more difficult to deal with than those demons who only knew how to rely blindly on brute strength.