24. Better to maintain distance!

I thought over what I was instructed

I thought over what I was instructed.  I am not his wife. His wife is Kirti. Did I get ahead of myself? Why did I think of cooking for him? I have made a mistake and I am not going to repeat it. Vimalamma is around to guide me anyways. I will follow her rules from now on. With those final thoughts, I slept.

The next morning, I prepared food for Kriya and stayed in her room till Bhairav left. He had come to see her before he left for the office. I managed to not make a conversation him.

But when I came down, I could not escape Shyamalamma.

"Hey darling, are you not feeling well?" She asked me the moment she saw me.

"No. I am good. Why did you ask?"

"Nothing dear, you had not prepared Bhairav's breakfast. So I thought I will check on you. But I got busy with cooking! Old bones you know?"

"Shyamalamma, was it too much work? I am sorry, I will help you out from tomorrow".

I felt bad for making her work.

"Stupid girl! This is my job, and I am still capable of handling it. Don't worry about it. You tell me, why did you not prepare breakfast for Bhairav?"

"I..." Should I tell her?

"I got ahead of myself, Shyamalamma. I have come here as Kriya's nanny. How can I cook food for him. That doesn't fit my job description. So.." I decided to tell her the truth because I can't really lie to her. She has always been sweet to me.

She raised her eyebrows in confusion. "What do you mean by nanny? I thought you had come here as her mother. Do you not love her like a mother does?"

"Of course not. I love her, just as much as I love Kirti".

"So you don't think of it as a job?"

"Of course not! She is my daughter!! But Kirti..."

She cut me off. "Then don't ever say that you are her nanny. You are a motherless child yourself. Do you want her to go through the same thing you went through? Think about it Eesha!"

My head felt heavy. Suddenly I was transported to my childhood where people bullied me for not having a mother. All of their voices started resounding in my ears. I closed my ears and eyes to stop the noise. But it only became louder.

Their laugh!

Their taunts!

They are only growing louder.

I felt a hand over mine and I pushed it way thinking that they wanted to force me to listen.

But when I pushed away that person, I had to take my hands away from my ears and I heard someone cry!

KRIYA!

When I opened my eyes, Kriya was in Shyamalamma's arms crying. I snatched her into my arms immediately and started lulling her. She calmed down. And put her head on my shoulders.