26. So much for a dinner!

It's funny, really

It's funny, really. All my life I have only been told that I am inferior to people because of my birth and.. my education or rather lack of it. And I believe they are right. I believe I have to suffer because my mother destroyed a family's happiness, almost killed Kirti. I do believe that the people, back at my previous office are all superior to me because they better educated than I am.

Then why did I believe Stuti when she said knowledge is important not education? Is it because she is a teacher herself? Or is it because she is the first person to tell me that, except Kirti ofcourse. Kirti always told me that I had a good business acumen, best among us siblings. But that's Kirti, she is always saying things to encourage me. It doesn't count, does it?

I sighed. I probably got ahead of myself. Stuti probably took pity on me and told all that. She can't be serious, even though she looked such. She is always serious and stoic. Maybe I misunderstood her, she probably didn't mean it.

The house bell bought me out of my thoughts. Bhairav is home. Shyamalamma told me that her daughter had come home, so she wanted to go early. I was okay with that. But the problem rose when she asked me to serve Bhairav his dinner.

I did not want to interact with him. I was told not to do so. So I called Vimalamma and informed her the same. She yelled at me for not being able manage servants properly. Following that she came back to the penthouse. She agreed to serve Bhairav. But since he was getting late, she decided to sleep. She asked me to wake her when Bhairav came.

I opened the door and let him in before going to wake her up. But Vimalamma just did not budge. Was she such a heavy sleeper? I didn't know. I sighed. Looks like I have to serve Bhairav.

When Bhairav came down, after freshening up, he asked me, "did you have dinner?"

Ofcourse not! How can I have food before him? 

"Looks like you did not. Join me," he said.

Join him? NO!

"No!"

"No?" Did I say that out loud?

" I... I mean to say, I.. already h..had d.. dinner!"

He kept quiet for a while. He tapped on the plate with the spoon in hand. Is that the signal for serving food?

Probably!

So I spooned some rice into his plate. But he stopped me midway. Taking a long breath he asked, "why do you not want to eat with me?"

My heart stopped. I should probably tell him some reason or deny what he said.  But my mind was muddled up. I could not think of an answer.

"So you don't want to eat with me. Why is that so Eesha? I can't come up with a valid explanation," he probed again.

I fiddled with my fingers, as I was freaking out.  When I didn't answer, he continued, "Kirti always told me that you feel you are inferior to all of us. Is that reason? Is that why you don't want to eat with me? Because I am superior to you?"