8

Most of the mob was now fleeing for their lives, screaming as the flying monsters descended upon them like locusts, tearing them apart with their razor-sharp claws. Elizabeth quickly swerved and squeezed between the crowd with lightning speed, but her bones and muscles screamed in agony as she took flight along the bumpy cobblestone. People slammed against her as they ran. Children were swept up in the running, while others fell to the floor. Elizabeth attempted to lift someone up; but their fingers were wrenched from hers as the townspeople whipped her away again. She was pushed, her feet barely touching the ground as she was carried away in the tide. Elizabeth was thrown into side streets and dragged through alleyways until the crowd eventually dispersed into the square.

Ahead was a lone figure. The crowd encircled him, backing him into a corner. The man bent his legs a little and braced for an impact. Elizabeth gasped as she recognised her brother's shaggy hair. Elizabeth dug her elbows outwards and thrust herself forward with the last of her adrenaline, fighting to reach her twin. The crowd parted as she screamed her way through them. Gasps, shouts and abuse shattered the silence of the courtyard as she stumbled to Trevor's side.

"What took you so long?" he huffed at her, beads of sweat rolling down his forehead in the gaps between his hair.

"I needed to go to confession", she grinned; a wicked cackle in her burning throat. She unstrapped her sword, unceremoniously slamming it into the floor. The metal cracked the cobblestone as it swung into it. She gripped the hilt with both hands. "The horde is here, are the speakers safe?" she whispered, eyes fearless as she challenged the crowd.

"They're safe." He confirmed, mirroring her stance.

The crowd looked as though they were about to rush them when a flame snaked around them in a circle, warding the villagers off. The flames arched outwards like pikes in a defensive position, daring people to come closer, to feel the wrath of those flames.

Trevor glanced upwards to where the fire had originated. He saw Sypha standing proud as she directed and controlled the fire with her hands. He nudged Elizabeth, who looked up and smiled. Not bad, she thought to herself.

"Witch!" a priest yelled, pointing at her with his knife.

Sypha slowly moved her hands apart, an orb of light appearing and floating in the space between them. "No!" she exclaimed. "I am a speaker and scholar of magic!" The orb shifted in lines of azure light, bending to her will as she spoke. "I serve no demon and I do no evil!" A barrage of icy wind shot forth from her palms, pushing the townspeople further back. Elizabeth watched in amusement as they flinched from the cold, whilst she and Trevor stood unaffected by the sudden gust.

"You never told me you were a magician," he shouted up at her.

The orbs in her hands made her smirk all the more evident as she responded to him in a teasing manner, "You never asked."

"I suppose I can see now why you would be the one to go into the catacombs to look for your God," he said with a laugh, "But what are you doing here?".

"I didn't ask you to fight for me. I fight for myself." Elizabeth couldn't help but feel impressed by her; the sheer power that emanated from her was astonishing.

"Fine," Her brother said, his smile disappearing as he pointed to a priest in the crowd. "You." He snarled, anger rising in him. Elizabeth gripped her sword again and swung it upwards onto her leather-padded shoulders, preparing for a fight.

"Kill them quickly!" he ordered, his lips quivering. Without any care for their safety, he shoved the nearest man towards the flames, hoping to use the innocent as shields to hide behind and escape unscathed. Elizabeth's blood boiled inside her, churning hotter than the fire.

"No. Just you and me," Trevor hollered, his deep voice echoing across the square. "Come on". The priest threw another two men forward, putting more bodies between them.

That was it. Elizabeth's nostrils flared as she shouted at him, "You're big at telling people what to do, getting the good people of Gresit to commit murder for you." She threw her free arm out and gestured to the people, checking to be sure they were paying attention to her every word.

"You're a coward, hiding behind your men and women. You're nothing without them." The flames opened a path to him. "Let's see how you do on your own,". Elizabeth stepped forward, moving towards the brute. "You and me,".

The priest hastily rolled his sleeves up to his elbows, spitting on the ground for good measure before finally facing her. She circled him. Elizabeth felt the sweat coating her palms as she gripped the sword. The man hesitated for a moment as she strode confidently towards him, "I can see you have a blade. I wonder if the city of Gresit has ever seen a priest draw a weapon before." The crowd murmured among themselves, eyes fixed on the fight.

The priest fumbled for his weapon, clawing at his robes. She dropped the large sword and planted it. "Let's make this fair, my knife for your knife," she presented the crude blade that hung from within the layers of her clothes. The people gasped. The priest panicked.

"Let's go," she said tauntingly, gesturing for him to come forward. She could practically smell the fear pouring from his brow. The priest didn't budge.

"Come on," her tone was almost as though she were singing to him, "You had no problem beating an old man this morning," still no response, "You had no problem lying to these people about the Speakers!"

"The Speakers brought this upon us!" he retorted, a feeble attempt to rally the people to his side. Elizabeth could feel the cogs turning their heads.

"No, they didn't, and you know it. The Speakers stayed here to offer aid; it was your Bishop who brought all this down upon us. Your Bishop who started it all by killing a defenceless woman." She cried out, tears rolling down her cheeks, and her deep blue eyes burned with fury at him, at the bishop, and at the church.

The people quickly turned their weapons towards him, nervously shuffling behind Elizabeth and her company. The flames died as Sypha floated down from her tower, and stood beside Trevor.

"You would have made murderers out of these people...but the only one here who isn't innocent...is you." As the last word left her, hurried footsteps went past her and a knife buried itself into the priest's stomach. Elizabeth's mouth fell open as the crimson splattered the floor. Another man sprang forth from the crowd and buried his blade between the man's shoulder blades. A pitchfork slammed into his throat. Then another. And another.

Elizabeth lowered her dagger and watched the brutality happen. She hadn't imagined this would happen. The people had never rallied against the church like this. Trevor placed a hand on her shoulder and spun her so she couldn't watch the murder anymore.

She didn't have time to process the situation, as an explosion focused her attention again. She looked to Trevor for orders. He handed her back her sword and marched to the townspeople. Sypha followed, looking at Elizabeth, "It's the horde, they're coming", she confirmed.