21

The first thing that hit Elizabeth was the scent of books, old musty books that would send her father into a coughing fit when he entered the hold. Every so often, the young girl would sneak down there to peek into a diary of one of her ancestors or to attempt to steal a treasure or two.

The troupe stood in the antechamber, a tall room with portraits of Belmont's' past looming over the stairs. Elizabeth locked eyes with her great grandmother and took a nervous gulp. The grey eyes boring into her soul as though her mother might turn a corner any second to berate her for breaking in. She shook the thought from her head and followed the flickering torch-light closely. Alucard was silent behind her, but his presence gave her comfort - of all the things that might be down there, it couldn't hurt to have an immortal at her side.

The whole place felt so foreign to her despite the crest on her chest being the crest on the walls. The tapestries that hung with pride from the ceiling beams now dropped with a thick dust coat. Even the steps cried with each step under the heavy boots of the party.

"Belmont isn't even a Wallachian name," she heard Sypha say. The woman had an odd way of asking questions.

Trevor seemed to understand it and replied, "No. The family is originally from Francia." The woman's face scrunched with a curious expression.

"We moved out of there a few hundred years ago," Elizabeth joined in, being careful to keep a quiet voice so she didn't startle the woman.

"Moved or chased?" Alucard chimed in, a grin decorating his face. Elizabeth sighed. He couldn't resist the chance to aggravate her brother.

"Moved, thank you very much" Trevor said, no doubt his eyes were rolling in the back of his head.

"With pitchforks and torches..?" Elizabeth watched Sypha plant her face into her hands and sigh. Elizabeth took the opportunity to stop in her tracks which made Alucard tumble slightly. Perhaps he would take physical cues as verbal ones had done nothing to deter him thus far.

"No" Trevor's booming voice resonated throughout the hall. Though irrational, she feared the vibrations would cause the staircase to collapse. "No, we're professionals," he continued, "we moved where the work is,".

Trevor faltered, he almost fell on the last step - believing there to be another. Sypha reached out and steadied him. Elizabeth chewed the inside of her cheek, Sypha's hands lingered a little too long on her brother's shoulder. She felt as though she was intruding on a moment. The vampire behind her simply tapped his foot at the delay.

Elizabeth looked anywhere but forward, taking in the dim view of the hold. She could make out the other tapestries and portraits but not much else. She squinted into the darkness as best she could, but it didn't help.

"So what does that mean 'moved where the work is' ?" Sypha continued, realising how long she had lingered. Her hands quickly fell to her waist.

"The monsters moved east, so we followed them. I think it was Louis? Lukas? L-".

"Leon Belmont," Elizabeth corrected, the finger pointing to the air.

"Ah right, Leon Belmont who entered the region first" He thanked her with a quick nod. Trevor stood before a large wooden door. Elizabeth didn't remember it being there and furrowed her brow. It couldn't have been new but the door had no place in her memories. She gently pushed past Sypha, carefully placing a respectful hand on her shoulder to move her.

Trevor handed her the torch. He pulled the door at first, yanking on the handle as hard as he could but the door wouldn't budge. Elizabeth watched intently and ran her hands along the hinges. She realised before he had and motioned for him to move aside. The man took the torch back from her and shuffled to one side. She pushed the handle and felt the lock shift but the door hadn't moved. She huffed, knowing it would need a little extra shove. Trevor and Alucard stepped forward but a quick glare stopped them from moving. Elizabeth let out a puff of air to move the strand of hair from her eyes and lined up her good shoulder with the door.

She pulled the handle down and placed her weight against the centre of the door. The door shuffled slightly. She pushed harder against it. The door scratched the frame. The door eventually swung free. The woman turned to her companions with a grin.