23

"She's technically my great aunt. She was...a little eccentric,".

"A Belmont? Eccentric? Perish the thought," he joked. Elizabeth shot him an unamused look. Alucard's face softened and he pursed his lips and allowed her to continue without interruption.

"Mother never talked about her, I could never find her in any of the family records. Only this ratty old journal and a very strange family sword," Alucard snapped up.

"The sword?" She nodded at him, turning the pages and pointing to a passage on the bottom.

Alucard followed her finger again and tried to read aloud the paragraph, "...three more taken down today, I must be getting closer to their nest. Seethe.." Seethe? He glanced at Elizabeth confused but she nudged his arm, urging him to continue with the passage. He obliged, allowing a soft smile to form on his face, "Seethe feels lighter now, perhaps Father will finally cease his complaints that I have not found a husband as Leandra has. Perhaps now that I'm mastering the sword, he will accept I'm far better use to the family as a hunter than a wife," Elizabeth's hands lingered at the edge of the page, itching to read more, to show him more, he watched the glint in her eyes grow brighter as she began to recite more of the page where he had stopped.

"What?" she said, realising he was staring at her. Alucard blushed, as if it were possible.

"Nothing," he said softly, his fingers drifting to overlap hers around the journal. Elizabeth visibly jumped, startled by the sudden contact but didn't move. She tentatively let her forefinger trail along his, a small comforting gesture.

"She made an impact on you then? Inspired you to tackle Seethe," He fought back a laugh at the name, he thought it might as well be named 'Sharp' or 'Weapon'.

Elizabeth kept her eyes on his hands, watching closely as he moved them closer to hers.

"My mother was furious when I found the journal, she went on for hours about how children shouldn't be left alone in the hold. She banned us after that day," she mused, still tracing the lines in his fingers, following the creases along his knuckles, "...I still found a way in, looking back now, I think Peter would purposefully leave the door open so I could sneak in," Elizabeth rarely talked about Peter, even saying his name made her insides twist and contort. She blamed herself for his death, even now.

Elizabeth felt a tear fall from her cheek, she tore her hand from Alucard and went to wipe it away. Before she could reach it, Alucard's gloved hand came up to her face. Elizabeth bit back her instinct to swat it and allowed him to gently wipe the tear away. His glove felt soft on her skin, the contact was fleeting but ever so gentle.

Her eyes fluttered as she recalled the situation, realising that she had allowed the vampire to get so close. She cleared her throat and retrieved the book from his hands, tucking it back into its hiding spot.

"That got depressing, my apologies..."

"You don't need to apolo-"

"I'm sure Sypha has found something in some dead language that the silly Belmonts shouldn't have. I'm sure she's looking for you," Elizabeth shut him down, turning away from him. She awkwardly pretended to look at the dusty books instead of continuing the conversation. Alucard waited for a moment before bowing his head and walking back to the main foyer. Elizabeth cursed herself as she watched his coat disappear from between the stacks.

What was she thinking? Ah yes, Mother would be so proud of her as she let a vampire corner her and get close enough to tear her throat out. She practically begged him to bite her, the voice in her head snarled at her and berated her for being so careless.

"Stupid, stupid," She bounced her head off of the wooden stack, kicking up centuries worth of dust. She gagged as it coated her throat and stung her eyes. She backed away and took a minute to regain her breath. Her anxiety convinced her that she definitely swallowed a spider or two.

She really was a sorry excuse for a Belmont.