17

Trevor heaved his sister onto the back of the wagon, he felt her tense up as she accidently put pressure on her dominant arm. She sharply breathed in through gritted teeth. The wagon sagged from the weight for a moment before balancing out as the sword was slid along the wood on the opposite side to her.

Trevor stepped back and warned his sister with a look. Elizabeth nodded and lowered her hand to allow him access to her shoulder. Sypha peered sheepishly from behind Trevor.

"We should take her to healer or a doctor..." she said softly, her eyes pleading with Trevor.

"It's fine, it's a childhood injury that just refuses to heal," Elizabeth laughed weakly before her face contorted into a snarl. Her brother shot her an apologetic look, his hands retreating from where he had prodded her momentarily.

"Even more reason for us to find a healer. Someone should have checked it by now!" she yells. Elizabeth could feel the frustration ebbing out of the small woman. Whilst Trevor shifted and studied her shoulder with soft prods, Elizabeth searched through her belongings for something to bite down on.

"Sypha, it's fine. He's done this many a time now and if he was going to do it wrong then my arm would have dropped off by now" her joke fell short as Sypha's mouth fell open. Elizabeth sent her a reassuring smile.

'I don't think I'll be able to reposition it with your tunic in the way, it needs a wash anyway," Trevor said quietly, looking at the blood splatter and stains on it. Elizabeth blushed a little. She'd never undressed in front of anyone before, she'd done everything to spare Trevor the embarrassment as well as herself when they'd travelled. The last time Trevor had done this was years ago and his sister's leather straps hadn't matched up with her figure yet but now they sat firmly in the way of the bone and stopped him from feeling where it needed to slot back in.

Elizabeth waved her brother off, "It's fine, I think it feels better now anyway" she tried to lift her arm but yelped as the dull ache became a sharp pain again. She quickly dropped her arm again and squinted her eyes shut for a moment.

"I'm sorry," Trevor said, shrugging his shoulders. "We could find a healer, maybe Arges has one or we could head back to Gresit..." he tried to think of a way to spare his sister's dignity as well as spare himself the encounter.

"No, the longer we stall, the more people will suffer at the hands of my father," Alucard's voice interrupted. He unsheathed his sword, the action causing Elizabeth to flinch. The thought did cross her mind for a moment that he may put her out of her misery.

The man extended his sheath to her, the thick leather would stop her biting through her own tongue.

"Wait," she said firmly, her hand held up with a flat palm. "There's a stream near our old home, as Trevor said my clothes could do with a wash and so could others..." she looked at the state of everyone else's clothes, Sypha's dress was tattered and mud caked the hem whilst ash and blood had stained Trevor's white tunic, "Sypha can help me bathe and everyone can have a quick clean then whilst I'm.." she stretched her neck, clearly uncomfortable, "...whilst my shoulder is bare then Trevor can set it," she hoped Sypha would agree with her here, she raised her eyebrows and sent the woman a look. Her face screams for assistance from anyone.

"I don't see how that's any different from delaying our journey to find a healer," Trevor stated, confused. Elizabeth's face dropped.

"Fine," she huffed. "Sypha, could you help me?" she asked. Sypha sent her an apologetic glance before slowly unclasping the straps that held her shirt in place. Sypha pulled at the leather, trying to loosen it which made Elizabeth wince. Sypha paused. The woman looked for permission before gently easing the straps off of her shoulders, the straps fell to her waist. Her tunic was the only thing left to move. Elizabeth closed her eyes and looked away from Sypha. She refused to look at anyone, closing her eyes and squeezing them tightly. The fabric lifted away, and the chill kissed her skin, Sypha's cold hands removed the shirt covering her shoulder and slowly pulled it further down.

"Wait," Alucard stated. He pulled his coat off and placed it over Elizabeth's chest and other shoulder. Elizabeth felt the weight of the fabric on herself and opened one eye to peek at what was happening. She saw the dark fabric that surrounded her. She looked up to Alucard, about to protest that he could get cold but stopped. She kept forgetting that he wasn't completely human.

The vampire stepped closer, standing on the opposite side to Trevor. Trevor had mirrored his sister, closing his eyes and refusing to look. Elizabeth cleared her throat. Trevor let out a sigh of relief as he could only see his sister's exposed shoulder. He could now see the bone that jutted out at the wrong angle. He shuddered at the sight.

He placed firm hands either side of the bone and looked to Alucard. Sypha sighed and turned away from them, unable to watch.

Elizabeth could feel the panic setting in a little, her breathing growing rapid. She and Trevor had done this at least 5 times before and whilst she knew the pain wouldn't last that long, she always panicked as soon as she realised it was coming. Part of her wanted to shove her brother away from her and shout at him for even attempting to help but she knew she would be useless to everyone with a lame sword arm.

"Here," the vampire purred. He presented the sheath to Elizabeth who opened her mouth and allowed him to position it between her teeth. Elizabeth's eyes were welling in fear. Alucard took hold of her arm closest to him to stop her thrashing and damaging the shoulder further. Elizabeth breathed heavily before nodding.

As soon as she nodded, Trevor slammed all of his weight again her shoulder. Elizabeth screamed from between the leather, her eyes flew wide open and her throat burned in pain. The shoulder connected with the joint in a loud crack but neither of the men let go of her. She twitched from the resonated pain and continued to sob as they held her.

"It's done, you're okay," Trevor comforted her, trapping his sister in his arms as she cried. He felt guilty, unable to look her in the eye. The coat started to droop but Alucard quickly snatched the hem and held it close to her chest with a free arm. If not for the agonizing sting, she would have noticed his hand quickly move away as he accidently touched her breast.

Once Elizabeth regained her composure, Alucard removed the sheath from her mouth. She licked her lips and moved her tongue around in her mouth; the leather has soaked up all of her saliva leaving her mouth feeling dry and uncomfortable. Alucard examined the deep bite marks on the leather, she'd managed to bite her away through its top layer. She was impressed.

Elizabeth took the weight of the coat into her own arms, clutching it to her chest. Her arm still hurt but she could move it. Elizabeth studied it, clenching and relaxing her fist, watching the muscle move under her skin. She was able to move her arm again but feared what would happen if she tried to move quickly.

Trevor waited until he was sure that his sister could manage on her own before making his way to the front of the wagon, after the last attack they felt too exposed here to risk setting up a camp again. Sypha sat close to Elizabeth in the back, helping her redress herself. The woman leaned in and did a slight sniff before leaning back.

"You really do need to bathe," she joked, leaning away from the stench. Elizabeth scrunched her face up in annoyance. She did eventually laugh, eventually.