28

Elizabeth startled awake, clutching at her chest. Sweat clung to her skin and shirt. Her chest heaved with each breath. She gasped and tried to stop herself from shuddering with each lungful of air.

She looked around wildly, searching to see where she was. She couldn't make out the details of her surroundings. Everything was a large, black expansive emptiness that loomed around her. She panted further when she felt an icy sensation creep up her spine, a tingling that felt as though a spider were creeping along the nerves of her spine.

"Elizabeth?" a voice asked. Elizabeth spun around to see Alucard's face next to her. Elizabeth couldn't speak, her throat felt like it was being squeezed. Her eyes bulged at him as she clawed at her throat.

Alucard understood her panic and immediately moved to cradle her in his arms, "You're having a waking nightmare, you're awake but your body is still asleep," Elizabeth clawed at her throat wanting to make a snarky remark at him but her own bubbling panic overwhelmed her humour.

Alucard put a leg on either side of her. Elizabeth tried to fight him, pulling away from him but Alucard persisted. He caught her flailing arm and held it down to her side firmly. Elizabeth wheezed with a noise of annoyance. His supernatural strength irritated her, even in her overwhelming panic, she still begrudged him his strength.

Alucard tried to get her to arch her back into him, every muscle in her body was rigid and unyielding, "Elizabeth, just trust me. Just try to relax," he whispered in her ear, the cold breath made her cheeks flush.

Elizabeth wheezed in agreement, forcing her body to bend into him and letting him guide her stiff body. Alucard was careful, keeping his positioning as respectful as he could with her. She was still apprehensive of whatever he was trying to do, part of her fighting him. 

"Now, breathe in," he commanded quietly, her body shuddered with each breath, her throat still tight and painful to the touch. Alucard pushed his chest into her back. The movement sent Elizabeth into another panicked scuffle, her arm wildly flinging itself at him to push him away. 

Alucard sighed and snatched the arm, pinning it to her side. 

"Breathe," his voice was lower and deeper than before. A different tingling sensation went from the back of Elizabeth's head to the bottom of her spine, sending rippling touches along her body. Elizabeth tried not to squirm. She knew he was trying to help, to ease whatever was happening but between her mind and body, she was no better than a nervous mare.

"In...and out," he commanded her, feeling her chest rise and fall with his. The tightness around Elizabeth's throat lessened. She was still very aware of his closeness, but she felt the blood flowing to her muscles again, "In...and out," he said again, her shoulders dropping to her usual hunch. Elizabeth continued to breathe slowly, letting herself breathe outwards through her mouth, "Once more, in..."

"And out," she finally managed to say. She leaned her head back against him, relief permeating her soul as she regained control of her body.

Alucard's chest rumbled with a soft laugh, "Better?" he asked, wiping away the sweaty strands of hair from her face. Elizabeth nodded, still breathing out through her mouth. She closed her eyes tightly as she moved away from him, a sharp cramp in her shoulder forced her back into him. Elizabeth hissed in pain.

"I've got it," he purred, massaging the muscle with a firm hand until the muscle stopped spasming. Elizabeth hissed again, the feel of him unknotting the muscle was close to painful.

Once she could move without pain, Elizabeth shuffled away from Alucard so she could face him. Her eyes landed on the pile of blankets they were laying on, she looked at him quizzically.

He followed her eyes and made an ah sound, "It's not a bed but I thought you could use something more comfortable than the hard floor of the wagon," her heart warmed at the idea that he'd taken the time to build a nest for her to sleep on. She followed the flow of the blankets to where he was laying, the blankets did not extend to his own comfort.

"You're laying on the floor, aren't you uncomfortable too?" she asked.

Alucard shook his head as he stretched his neck, "I'm perfectly comfortable on concrete, one of the many perks of being a vampire," he stared, staring aloofly into the distance stack of shelves.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow, "Really?" she asked sceptically.

"Absolutely not, I feel like a ton of bricks have been dropped onto my spine," he said, pointing to a sore spot of his back. Elizabeth couldn't help the snort that escaped her as she laughed.

Alucard held his breath, a growing grin spreading across his cheeks. Elizabeth shook her head and warned him to say nothing with a look. Her lips pursed and she waited for him to laugh. He looked as though he'd bust.

"Don't you dare," she said, pointing a finger at him. Alucard put the back of his hand over his mouth and tried to disguise his laughs as coughs. 

Elizabeth pounced at him, swiping at him. He dodged her blows effortlessly, his laughter getting louder and louder the more she fought him. 

She tried to sneak a blow or two to his legs, aiming for the soft part between the muscles in his legs, Alucard caught her hands and tried to push her away. Elizabeth grinned, snaring him in her clever trap and pulling him forward with his movements. Alucard let out an oof as he was rolled onto his back. Elizabeth cackled triumphantly as she straddled him, pinning his wrists to the blankets with the weight of her body.

Alucard feigned a struggle against her, mocking her as he gave minimal resistance to her pressure on him, "You have bested me, oh great Belmont," he cried, dramatically throwing his head to the side. 

Elizabeth smiled again, another snort escaping her, "The history books will say how great the battle was, and how I bested such a foe," she joined in with his dramatic flair, flicking her hair back.

As she did, Alucard moved with unnatural speed, flipping her onto her back and pinning her down into the blankets. Elizabeth didn't laugh. She was too stunned to speak. The action had been to swift and graceful, she had barely felt the breeze as she landed softly onto her back.

"Perhaps your victory was premature," he purred. Elizabeth looked into his amber eyes that watched her with an intensity she hadn't felt before. She gulped. Her throat felt slick and tight again as she saw his chiselled chest peeking through his coat. She wasn't just staring, she was ogling at him, saliva pooling in her mouth as her eyes drifted further and further along the thin line across his chest.

"Ahem" Alucard softly cleared his throat. Elizabeth's gaze snapped up to his. His eyes trailed down her face, lingering on her lips.

The air felt hot and suffocating between them, she wasn't sure where to look or how to act under that smouldering gaze. She shuffled, her body unable to stop fidgeting. Alucard lowered himself down at an agonizingly slow pace. Elizabeth retreated for a moment, afraid that her own inexperience would ruin the moment. Alucard stopped, searching her eyes for fear. 

"I'm sorry..." he apologised, removing himself.

Elizabeth cursed herself, she didn't want him to go. She wanted him to stay, she wanted the electricity that hummed through her to consume her. She didn't want the pressure on her wrists to cease. She wanted this to continue. 

She wanted Alucard.

Elizabeth pushed her lips into his with a spark of courage. She arched her back and wrapped her hands around his face, pulling him deeper into her embrace. Alucard matched her fire and let out a quiet moan as she tightened her grasp on him. Alucard lowered them down gently, resting her head against the blankets.

Alucard snaked an arm under her and place the other above her head so he could get a better purchase on her, deepening the kiss until they were both left breathless.