25

Once Alucard and Sypha had walked away, Elizabeth silently cursed the woman and then thanked her. What game was she playing? Why was she being so careless with her life?

She glanced to the cabinet that had enraged Alucard. She remembered the face of the night creature as she'd killed it, no, murdered it. Her belly twisted with guilt, knotting her insides. Was everything she'd been taught wrong? She shook her head, this was the most inappropriate time to be having a crisis of faith. She would be going up against Dracula, if she and Trevor had any hope of surviving the battle then she couldn't let herself question her morals, especially where Alucard was concerned.

Elizabeth brushed her fingers against her lips, she could still feel his breath on them, felt the electricity tingle her lips.

"What's wrong with you?" Trevor asked abruptly, making his sister jump. Her face was the picture of embarrassment. Trevor took a step back, "Did Alucard hurt you?" his voice was more stern laced with concern.

"No-no!" Elizabeth shook her head violently, things were already tense between the hunter and Alucard, it didn't need to be made worse.

"Did he upset you?" he asked again, kneeling next to her.

"No, he didn't. He's actually been rather kind to me," Trevor raised an eyebrow, his jaw tightening uncomfortably.

"Is this one of those feminine things that I don't need to know about?" he asked, feeling extremely awkward. There were times when the pair travelled that Trevor had to accept his sister was a woman and there were some things that did not need to be shared between them. Elizabeth had been 15 when her period started, the time was traumatic for both of them but they had learnt their lessons in oversharing information.

Elizabeth laughed, wiping the sweat from her brow and being thankful for her brother's dense thinking, "Yes, it's one of those feminine things," she agreed. Trevor grunted in response, shifting his shoulder straps awkwardly. "Help me with these crates, will you?" she asked, knowing he would relax if he was kept occupied.

The siblings pulled away the broken slats of crates and boxes. Elizabeth yanked at one very unyielding piece that refused to budge when she grabbed it, she tried a few times to pull it free but felt the delicate skin on her hand tearing. Trevor pushed her aside, he warmed his arm up with a stretch, showing off to himself. Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

Trevor clutched the slat with both hands, flexing his fingers until they settled into a comfortable position. He planted his feet firmly on the floor, making a very dramatic spectacle.

"Sypha isn't here, I don't know who this display is for," Elizabeth groaned, watching him get flustered. She knew something was going on between them, she didn't share Trevor's oblivious nature.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he finally scoffed, raising his chin.

"Just pull it out," she shouted. The twins were unaware that Sypha and Alucard had heard them bickering and were watching from the end of the stacks. They stayed very quiet.

"I'm trying!" he shouted back, leaning into his knees as he pulled at the wood.

"If you can't get it then I can call for Alucard," Alucard fought back a smirk, Sypha's glare forcing him to be quiet.

"Absolutely not! I can do it," Trevor argued, repositioning to yank at the wood. He then tried throwing his weight back in waves. He heaved his weight away from the wood, the plank nudging every so lightly with each pull.

"That's it! That's it! Just pull harder!"

"I bloody am!"

Alucard and Sypha had to cover their mouths to muffle their sniggers as they watched the two twins argue.

"Just - move your hands, I'll help!" Elizabeth finally snapped, she shoved Trevor over and placed her hands in between his. She adjusted her grip for comfort and planted her feet like his, heaving with him with all of her might.

"Are you even pulling it?" Trevor snapped, his laboured breath making him making stars dance in his vision.

"Shut up!" Elizabeth snarled.

The slit creaked and split into three pieces. The twins were flung backwards, hitting the floor with a loud thud. Elizabeth moaned, sliding a hand to her backside to rub where she had hit the floor. She looked behind her when she heard a fit of giggles close by. She could see Sypha's silhouette doubled over and shaking as she tried not to laugh at them. Elizabeth glared at her and turned back to where the wood had been. Trevor was already elbow deep in the pile where the rubble of wood had collapsed.

"It can't be..." he trailed off. Elizabeth peered over his shoulder. Something shiny caught her eye. Elizabeth narrowed her eyes and focused on the large gilded box in her brother's hands.

"Bloody hell. Is that what I think it is?" she asked, her eyes getting wider by the second. Trevor didn't waste time and dragged the box but its golden handles further into the open. Elizabeth pulled her toes away in time to avoid them being crushed as he swung it free of the rubble.

"Careful, you almost look excited about something," a sweet voice called out. Sypha got closer, her footsteps were so light that Elizabeth swore she floated over.

"It couldn't be," there were tears gathering in Trevor's eyes. If their suspicions were correct, then their father had successfully hidden one of the Belmont's most treasured weapons in their trove. It had been worn on his belt and his father's before him and hopefully, Trevor would be the one to continue that tradition. That's if, they were right.

Trevor held out a hand, his hand clapping against itself impatiently. Elizabeth scrabbled for her long knife. The damn thing was caught in its scabbard, she tugged on it, wiggling it out of the sheath. Trevor made impatient noises, still clapping his hand at her.

"Alright, alright," she growled, slamming the knife handle into his hand.

Trevor put the blade inside the large lock, wedging it against the metal and pulling on it. Elizabeth held her breath, she feared if the box had been warded or spelled or that the only weapon she could use effectively was about to be shattered by the ancient lock. Elizabeth winced as the blade made a terrible screeching sound. Trevor tried a different angle, Elizabeth could see his shoulders shaking from the pressure he was exerting on the lock.

"Trevor..." she asked, her hand reaching out for his shoulder.

"Don't," he told her. He adjusted the angle once more. It was a tense few minutes before the lock popped free. Elizabeth took a deep breath in, her lungs aching. The box rattled, a soft light building from inside it. Trevor covered his eyes and pushed Sypha back with a firm hand. Elizabeth felt Alucard at her side, his hand brushing against hers. The box settled, the light fading softly. Trevor tossed her knife along the floor to her and wrenched the box open.