CHAPTER - 28 : PROMISE

Hearing Karn's words, Draupadi looked down abashed, looking a bit flustered. 

Noticing this, Drupad looked at Karn and Bheeshm and joined his hands in front of him, saying "This is a matter where a decision cannot be taken in haste as it is about my daughter's future. Mahamahim, I request you to please give us some time to think about it. I'm not outright rejecting this proposal, but I need to talk to my daughter first before I come to a decision."

"Of course, Maharaj Drupad. No father can take any decision in haste when it comes to his daughter. Please take your time" said Bheeshm.

"In the mean time, I request you and your grandsons to accept our hospitality" said Drupad.

Bheeshm and Karn looked at each other and then Bheeshm said "Of course, Maharaj."

Soon, the Pandavs and Bheeshm were received warmly and treated to Panchal's hospitality. Lord Krishna too stayed in Panchal upon Maharaj Drupad's request and of course Isha's whining.

*****

Two days after Karn asked Draupadi's hand for Arjun, Karn came back to the palace after doing the surya pooja and went to meet his brothers when a maid announced that Princess Isha requested to speak with the Princes. The six of them looked at each other then back to the maid. It was Karn who gave her the verbal permission. The maid bowed her head and exited the room. A few seconds later, Isha walked in, looking all royal and regal and the six princes just stared at her, clearly not used to seeing her looking like a princess. Isha stopped in her tracks and blinked, looking at the six Princes who were staring at her.

"What's wrong? Do I look weird or something?" asked Isha.

"Haan..." started Bheem and the remaining brothers looked at him with wide eyes and then at Isha.

It was Arjun who immediately scrambled for words to cover up the mistake.

"Sakhi, what Bhratha Bheem meant was none of us are used to seeing you look like a... Uh... A Princess! When we were in Dwarka, you toned down a bit while dressing up and though you didn't exactly look like a commoner, we just aren't used to you dressing up to your part" rambled Arjun.

Isha chuckled and said "Uchit hain" and looked at everyone and added "I apologize for disturbing you all early in the morning."

"You haven't disturbed us, Rajkumari. In fact, we were wondering what to do with all the time we have got in our hands" said Sahdev, making Isha smile and say "Then I will soon make some arrangements so that you all can explore Panchal and be impressed by our hospitality."

The six princes smiled hearing her words. 

"But before that" she started, making all of them look at her curiously.

"I have to speak with you, Parth" she said, seriously and suddenly, the environment in the chamber has turned grave and the six Pandavs looked at each other.

Arjun looked at Karn nervously who in return nodded at him encouragingly with a smile on his face. 

Arjun looked back at Isha and asked "What is it, Sakhi? What is it that you want to talk to me?"

"About the marriage proposal, of course" said Isha and Arjun smiled nervously.

Was she here to tell him that he cannot marry Draupadi? Were they offended that the Kurus waged a war against them? Was he going to be rejected because of that? All these thoughts kept running in Arjun's mind while the other five brothers looked at the two of them in anticipation. 

"Wha- what about it?" stuttered Arjun.

This time Isha  gulped and said "Please do not be offended. I do not mean to offend you at any cost."