CHAPTER - 29 : BHANUMATI

Soon the news went to the Hastinapur royals that Drupad has accepted the marriage proposal of Arjun and Draupadi. Kunti was ecstatic and so was Gandhari, Dhritarashtr was kind of happy, but sort of wished that it was one of his sons who'd have gotten an alliance with the King of Panchal. It's been a few days since they have received an invitation from the kingdom of Kaling for the Swayamvar of their Princess, Bhanumati and Duryodhan along with his brothers have went to Kaling to attend it. When the Pandavs were told about the swayamvar, Bheeshm insisted Karn to attend it, but Karn declined stating he wanted to focus on his beloved anuj's wedding and as the eldest of Pandavs, it won't look good if he's absent from the festivities. Bheeshm sighed in exasperation.

At this rate, he'll remain a bachelor like me thought Bheeshm, shaking his head, not knowing that the reason that Karn gave him was only partial truth.  

The day when the to be groom's side of the family will arrive at Panchal was finally there. As soon as the news reached that the Hastinapur royals are nearing the palace, Drupad along with Dhrishtadyumn, Bheeshm and the Pandavs went to greet the arriving royals. Isha too came to greet the royals and was surprised to see that her brother was back. He patted her head affectionately while she looked around to see if her eldest sister was back too. 

"Jiji is not back, yet. The work is still not done. We'll talk about it later" he told Isha and the latter nodded and all of them welcomed the royals. 

But what shocked them, including Bheeshm and Pandavs was a new face that came along Kunti and Gandhari. Isha looked at the woman who looked around her and Draupadi's age and then at Lord Krishna who was standing beside her.

"Bhratha Govind, do you know who she is?" asked Isha.

Krishna smiled at her and shook his head. Isha frowned and looked at Arjun questioningly. Arjun understood what his sakhi was trying to communicate and immediately shrugged, shaking his head in response. Drupad, Dhrishtadyumn, Isha and Lord Krishna greeted the royals first and then the Pandavs did the same. When they reached Bheeshm, he looked at the unfamiliar woman who took his blessings.

"Gandhari, who is this kanya?" asked Bheeshm.

Gandhari tilted her head in Kunti's direction uneasily and then pursed her lips while straightening her back. Kunti too looked a bit uncomfortable.

"Tatshree, she's my putravadhu. Rajkumari of Kaling - Bhanumati. Duryodhan has married her" replied Gandhari.

"Duryodhan has married? This is good news, Jyesht Matha! Why didn't anyone inform us about this news and where is he now?" asked Karn.

"Putra Karn," started Dhritarashtr, "we have a lot of things that needs to be discussed along with this too. We'll talk about that later. The ladies are tired from the journey and so am I."

With that, all of them went inside and Isha made sure that nothing is left out in their hospitality to the Hastinapur royals.

*****

"Rajkumari Bhanumati ko apne hi swyamvar se apharan kiya hain Bhratha Duryodhan ne?" asked Sahdev incredulously.

"Haa Sahdev. Vishwaas nahi hota ki Duryodhan ne aisa kiya hain" replied Karn.

All the brothers were in the common chamber in the bhawan they were residing currently. After learning how Bhanumati got married to Duryodhan from his mother, Karn was shocked and when he reached the common chambers where all of his younger brothers were, he told them that in a daze.

"Ismein ascharya honey ki kya baat hain Jyesht? It's Duryodhan that we're talking about here. Woh jo bhi kaam karta hain, uski kaaran humein sadeiv lajjit hi hona pada" sneered Bheem.

A Different Destiny - A Mahabharat/Karn FanficOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara