CHAPTER - 30 : SHARED

After gathering enough courage, Karn finally decided to meet Bhanumati, who was just feeling and looking awkward being in an unfamiliar environment. The princess really looked like she needed a friendly face and with her being the newest member of the family, he felt like he had to do something. After searching for the Princess, he learnt that she went to the temple along with Isha and decided to go there.

When he reached the Shiv Mandir, he saw that Isha and Bhanumati were already there. Isha looked at him questioningly when her gaze landed on him but Karn just gave her a smile and looked at Bhanumati, who also followed Isha's gaze.

Isha looked at Bhanumati and said "I'll be right back. I have to talk to the priest."

Bhanumati nodded and Isha walked away from there, while giving Karn a look. Karn stared at Isha's retreating form for while until he remembered what he was supposed to do and looked at Bhanumati who was already staring at him. Karn took a couple of steps towards her and stopped, maintaining some distance, not entering into Bhanumati's space.

"Rajkumari, I apologize for showing up unannounced. I just wanted to talk to you" said Karn.

Bhanumati blinked at him and asked "What is it, Yuvraj?"

"I didn't get a chance to have a talk with you yesterday, that's why I came here. Firstly, I wanted to apologize to you Duryodhan's behalf. I was told what happened at your swayamvar and this might probably not mean anything to you, but I cannot even fathom what you went through. Duryodhan - sometimes he doesn't think things through and just does whatever he wishes to do. You have been through a lot because of him and I apologize to you on his behalf, as his brother" said Karn, joining his hands in front of him.

Bhanumati's eyes widened at his gesture.

"Yuvraj, you don't have to do it. Honestly, you don't have to do anything on his behalf. He should be responsible for his own actions, not you or someone else" said Bhanumati.

"And you are elder than me. Is tarah mere samne haath jod ke mujhe lajjit math kijiye" she added.

Karn dropped his hands and asked "In that case, will you do me a favor?"

"What is it, Yuvraj?" asked Bhanumati.

"Whenever you need anything or any kind of help, even a shoulder to lean on, I will always be here for you as your brother and best friend" replied Karn.

Tears immediately welled in Bhanumati's eyes.

"You are so kind, Yuvraj."

"Hey, just quit addressing by my title! I'm your brother!" Karn almost whined.

Bhanumati chuckled, wiping a stray tear "Thank you, Bhratha Karn. You don't even know how much your words mean to me. Even my own brother and parents didn't extend the sentiment to me, immediately disowning me as soon as what happened at the swayamvar."

Karn's eyes softened hearing her words and he immediately patted her head like he does for Dushala whenever the latter was upset.

"I meant what I said, Bhanumati. I'm always there for you" said Karn.

Bhanumati gave him a grateful smile and said "Thank you so much, Jyesht."

Karn smiled, dropping his hand to his side and looked at the direction where Isha was talking to the priest and a different smile tugged at his lips, which didn't go unnoticed by Bhanumati.

*****

Hours have passed and everyone are back in the palace. Everyone were seated in the common hall.

"Like we have discussed the other day, Maharaj Dhritarashtr, today's muhurat is good to look for a good muhurat for Draupadi and Arjun's amrriage. I have talked to the pandit regarding it and he will be arriving soon" said Drupad.