26. Hurt

AAKANKSHA:

I woke up to be in a small room. The doctor was checking my pulse. Rahul was standing next to me.

"My baby..!" I shouted placing my hand on my stomach.

"Relax dear. Your baby is fine. There is a swelling on the head where you were hit. You will have a light headache. Apart from that nothing major happened. You were really lucky." Saying the doctor took his leave.

Shock was written all over Rahul's face. He opened his mouth to speak but no words came.

After a few seconds he spoke "you are pregnant?! And you didn't tell me?"

There is accusation in his tone.

"We got to know today only. The get together is to tell you guys about this. I thought of telling you both at once since Rohit is out of country." I said in monotone.

All I was feeling was hurt. No anger, no hatred, nothing.

I didn't expect this from him. I should have believed Karthik's words.

I took my mobile and got up slowly. My head was pounding.

Gosh..!

I held my head with both hands balancing my staggering self.

"Pinky..!" Rahul rushed to me seeing me wobble.

I held my hand gesturing him to stop coming to me. I was in no state to be near him right now.

I went out to see a beautiful view. The place is surrounded by very tall trees.

I sat on a huge boulder under a tree and phoned Karthik.

"Hey love, you returned home?" He asked as soon as he answered the call.

"How do you know I was out of office?!" I asked surprised.

"I should be angry on you for leaving without telling me. I got panicked not finding you in your cabin you know. I looked into cctvs and saw Rahul and you leaving the building. You should have told me. It's not like I will stop you or something." He said with little anger in his voice.

After Goutam's incident, the lobby and outside the building were installed with CCTV. Extra security guards were appointed to cover the entire cellar. He didn't want to take a chance of anything and didn't want any of his staff to go through what I had experienced.

"Am sorry Karthik. I was excited to see him after so long. I forgot to tell you." I apologised.

"That's ok. Later I understood that. Where are you now? Have you returned or will it take time?" He asked sighing.

"Umm Karthik, please don't panic..."

"What happened?!" There's a change in his voice.

"Ummm we kind of fell from the bike. Bike is damaged now. I am alright. Don't panic. Can you come pick us up?" I said cautiously.

"What?! Send me the location. You sure you are alright?" He asked worried.

"I am ok Karthik. Don't worry."

"This is the reason I say no to bikes. What did that Rahul even want, to take you that long?" He was shouting by the end.

I told him what happened. No point in hiding. As soon as I told the reason he became silent.

"Okay. I am coming. Please stay safe love." He said and disconnected the call.

I sighed leaning my head on to the tree trunk.

Rahul came to me after few minutes.

"Rohit returned to India already. I told him what happened. He is on his way here." I just nodded and didn't respond to him.

All I feel is exhaustion, nausea, this pounding headache and hurt which is more dominating.

It's already getting dark by the time Karthik reached me.

I didn't notice him until he was kneeling infront of me.

"Love. Are you ok? Does it hurt any where? How is the baby?" He asked cupping my face.

Tears formed seeing his concerned face. I just hugged him and cried. The hurt I felt because of Rahul and this headache made me emotional.

"Darling, please, are you in pain? Say something baby." He asked rubbing my back.

"It's headache. That's all. Baby is also fine. We both are fine. Please hug me for some more time." I asked still hugging him.

He sat next to me and pulled me into his arms. The tears wont stop flowing.

I cried into Karthik's chest drenching his shirt. He didn't stop me from crying.

He sat there patiently, rubbing my back saying soothing words of everything will be alright while I cried my heart out.

Rohit came and kneeled infront of me. "I came with Karthik. I called Karthik when Rahul said what he did." He answered my unasked question.

"I never expected that I will listen to a happy news in a situation like this cherry." He said sighing.

Soon my crying turned to hiccups and after sometime I fell asleep on his chest.

KARTHIK:

"Eat something before we start love. I brought food for you." I said shaking Cherry a bit. She mumbled something in her sleep but did not wake up.

All the while Rohit was standing a little away from Rahul without speaking.

Sighing I said Rohit to bring the car.

I didn't even see Rahul's face. I feared I might hurt him if I see him. Cherry might be angry on him now, but she won't leave their friendship.

Lifting her bridal style I gently placed her in backseat of the car.

With her tired face and tear stained cheeks, she looked so fragile. I sighed running my hand through her forehead.

Standing straight I closed the door and turned to go to the other side to see Rahul standing before me.

"I am sorry" he said.

"If someone was in your place, their fate would have been very different. Do you know how much she trusts you? How much you mean to her? Feel happy that nothing happened to her." I said trying to control my anger.