The Toxin

Just as the Hyuga elder activated his Byakugan and looked at Yami, Hiashi and Hiruzen flinched. They followed his gaze, and it was on Yami who was also looking at them. Most people thought that the Hyuga elder was looking at all the genins and not Yami, but some people like Hiashi, Hiruzen, and Yami knew the truth.

"Father, what is it?" Hiashi asked. He knew his father always behaved composed then why would he suddenly act like this in front of everyone? The Hyuga elder stared at Yami for a few seconds and so did Yami. Yami hadn't activated his Sharingan as that would seem rude but he wasn't going to back out from a staring contest.

The Hyuga elder who heard his own son questioning him deactivated his Byakugan and said "It's nothing. I was just checking if any of these kids have the toxin in them or not."

Seeing that his father didn't want to tell the truth Hiashi also didn't push it. Hiruzen also decided not to ask him as he had known the Hyuga elder for decades now. The Hyuga elder wasn't one to make rash decisions until the situation called for it.

The Hyuga elder looked at Hiruzen and nodded which meant to say 'I will tell you in due time.' The Hyuga elder then looked at the 4 genin squads and their instructors who were standing with Yami and said "All of you come in..."

Choji looked at Asuma and asked "How are we involved in all this?" Asuma patted the fatty's head and said "The toxin affects the chakra pathways, not the bloodstream. The elder wants to make sure that during the 2nd test in the forest of death, none of you got infected by the poison."

Shikamaru put his arm around Choji's shoulder and said "Although none of us have shown any symptoms for the past few weeks, it is still better to be completely sure about this, and since they hardly know anything about the toxin they don't know if small quantities have an effect or not."

"You catch on quick...let's go now." Kurenai said as she and her squad took the lead the entered the house. Yami along with his squad also followed them. One question that Yami had from the start was why are the people brought here instead of Konoha hospital and Shikamaru had answered that question of his without realizing it. The toxin affected the person's chakra pathway and who better to explore a person's chakra pathway rather than a Hyuga?

As they entered the house, many were shocked to see the interior, especially Naruto and Kiba. It was as traditional and simplistic as it could be. Not even a speck of dust could be seen or any kind of a mess. Naruto felt a little embarrassed seeing this house and remembering the state in which he left his house this morning. Naruto had been busy bothering Jiraya the past week. Yami had completely forgotten about the toad sage Jiraya's arrival.

"Please everyone have a seat" One of the maids said to the group and everyone sat down against the wall on the mattress.

"This is so soft." Naruto said while squishing the soft mattress under him.

"Shut up idiot and stay quiet. Don't you see this is serious?" Sakura berated him as always. Hiruzen could help but smile a little seeing Naruto like this. He knew Naruto wasn't one who could sit in one place quietly.

3 Hyuga doctors came out of a room and bowed toward Hiashi, his father, and Hiruzen. The elder nodded and said "These kids were there during the exam. Test them to see whether they have any traces of poison in their chakra pathways.

The doctors looked at Shino who was sitting closest to them and said "come on in kid. Shino was about to get up but then sounds of running could be heard from the room at the end of the corridor. It was a maid and she was panting.

"E-Elder, Yazu has woken up."

All three instantly stood up. Hiashi looked at Hiruzen and said "Should we go in and talk to him?"

Hiruzen thought for a second as he glanced at the genins sitting and said "Bring him here. There is a chance that he must have noticed something that the kids must have noticed in the forest. Let them also hear what he says."

Hiashi was hesitant about this as the matter was of utmost importance and telling such a thing in front of those who became genins a few months ago didn't sit quite right with him. On the other hand, he knew what Hiruzen said was right, and if the kids could connect some doubts that could trigger a memory then they would be a step closer to solving this mystery.

"Take a few guards with you and bring Yazu along with the bed here. Don't let him stress himself out much."

"As you say Lord Hiashi." the maid nodded and went back to the room followed by 2 guards.

"How is the condition of the other three?" Hiruzen asked.

The Hyuga elder shook his head and said "Yazu is a jonin which is why we were most optimistic about him waking up but the other three are chunins and they have multiple injuries as well. It might still take a week or two for them to show any results. We can't say for sure that they will survive. If..." the Hyuga elder stopped as he looked at Hiruzen.

Hiruzen understood what he meant and said "Yess...if Tsunade were here...we would have found something that could help."

As they were speaking, the sound of wheels rolling could be heard. Yami along with the rest turned their heads to see the guards and the maid bringing in a hospital bed on wheels. A saline bottle was connected to the patient. A man wearing a doctor's coat and a mask could be seen standing behind the bed.

Hiashi looked at the doctor and asked "How is he now?" The doctor shook his head and said "Him even being awake is a miracle Lord Hiashi. We can't give him any medicine as the toxin flares up instantly. The toxin seems to be reducing little by little on its own but not before destroying his chakra pathway. I can't even guarantee that this is even a toxin. It's like the animal's chakra is destroying his chakra."

----------------------------------------

To read 10 extra chapters go to my Patreón

https://patreon.com/lazarus898/

Link in the synopsis as well.