Preparations

"Then that would be great Jiraya. The faster the village stabilizes the better." Lord Daimyo said. He then looked at the people around and asked "Does anyone seem to have an objection about this?"

Everyone shook their head except Danzo who muttered "She is a drunk and degenerate gambler. She is even scared at the sight of blood."

"Elder Danzo do you have any objections?" The Daimyo asked in a stern tone making Danzo gnash his teeth in say "No I don't." Danzo felt like the dream of becoming Hokage had come so close to him that and was snatched away by someone at the last moment.

'That fucking snake. He must have wanted to kill the elders to create a distraction on the other side of the village to split the forces but did he need to kill my men with that and kidnap those two elders who were going to be on my side in today's meeting? He isn't an idiot. He must have known it' Danzo was thinking when he concluded 'He doesn't want me to become Hokage because he knows then I won't help him at all I will try to catch him for the village's sake.'

While Danzo was building his own conspiracy theories, the real culprit was helping out Neji in the hospital. Turns out Neji used to come in his free time between the missions to learn more about healing techniques. Yami didn't want to help people build houses and do other things so he decided to work with Neji at the hospital. Neji would heal the wounds and Yami would apply the medicine and bandages.

In a small room, Neji and Yami were sitting across a hospital bed. Yami was just finishing up bandaging the fractured arm of a woman. He just had to change the bandages.

"It's done" Yami said as he glanced at the woman.

"Thanks to the 2 of you...we civilians are getting better very fast." the woman said as she got up from the bed.

Yami just nodded while Neji smiled and said "That's our duty. Do come 3 days later to change the bandages and take your medicine." The woman thanked them again and left the room.

Neji looked at Yami and removed the mask on his face and said "That was our last one for now. Let's go have lunch with the others. Our next patient will arrive 2 hours later."

Yami also removed his surgical mask and said "For the first 2 days your smile seemed forced. But since morning it seems you are genuinely happy."

"Ya at first I just smiled as a courtesy but after helping so many people I feel really happy." Neji said. He then looked at Yami for a few seconds and asked "If you won't mind me asking, did you feel the happiness of saving the people that we saved more than completing a mission?"

Yami also stared at Neji for a few seconds which made Neji think that maybe Yami didn't understand the question but then Yami asked "Do you want my answer as a shinobi of the hidden leaf or as Yami Uchiha?"

Neji felt confused as he heard that so he asked "Tell me both"

Yami shrugged and said "As a shinobi of hidden leaf my mission whether to kill or guard anyone is to save the life of a person from Konoha. Maybe not directly but by killing a bandit we are saving those tens of innocent people who would die if we didn't kill him."

Neji thought for a few seconds as what Yami said just now was logically correct. The number of people he healed in the past 3 days was less than the bandits that Neji and his groups had killed. Inadvertently saving the lives of hundreds of people.

Before Neji could ask Yami's answer as Yami Uchiha, Yami himself spoke "Neji Imagine if I show you a single bandit who had basic chakra training looting killing, and slaughtering innocents in a civilian village. How would you feel?"

"I would be furious. What's there to ask?" Neji asked. This was a simple question and there was no need to think much about it.

"Then what if I send you 2 days into the past and you are standing in front of him and your mission is to kill him? Will killing him give you the joy of killing and completing the mission or the joy of saving a whole village that was going to be slaughtered by the bandit 2 days later if you hadn't killed him." Realization dawned on Neji that he was feeling happy because he saw seeing the changes happen. He didn't realize that due to them killing bad people all year round, how many people's lives are turning for the better.

Neji understood what Yami was trying to tell him and now he was about to ask Yami about how he felt but there was a soft knock on the door. Neji and Yami looked at the door and the door opened slightly with 2 heads popping out from the outside.

"Are you guys coming for lunch?" one of the heads asked in a sweet voice.

"Ino and Hanabi. I didn't expect you guys to come to the hospital." Neji said.

Ino pushed the door the whole way and said "I was helping at the academy so I thought I could come and check up on you guys." Neji nodded and then looked at Hanabi.

Hanabi winked at Neji and said "I told father I will bring tiffin for you so he let me come here alone."

"So who all are coming for lunch?" Yami asked as he picked up his sword and tied it to his waist.

Ino quickly replied "Everyone except Naruto and Choji. Choji is with his Asuma sensei in the Hokage's room. His parents made lunch for sensei so he went to deliver it and will eat there as well. As for Naruto, he was muttering something like teaching the old hag a lesson and mastering a jutsu. He was with a man with big white hair. I have never seen that man."

Neji looked at Yami and asked "Do we need to go search for Naruto? He hardly hangs out with a stranger or anyone else for that matter." [A/N: And whose fault is that dickhead?]

"No need that man is The Toad Sage Jiraya. One of the legendary Sannin." Yami said making the others shocked. Ino couldn't believe that the funny man he just saw was such a renowned shinobi.

'So he will be mastering Rasengan to prove his drive to become Hokage huh? Some things never change.' Yami thought. It was one of the scenes from the canon that had really impressed Yami. The tenacity that Naruto had was unmatched.

-------------------------------

To read 10 extra chapters go to my Patreón

https://patreon.com/lazarus898/

Link in the synopsis as well.